PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening scissors

Bruce Slightom
12-14-2005, 07:22 PM
What are some of the ways that any of you have found to bring that favorite pair of scissors back to life?

MSP
12-14-2005, 09:38 PM
I don't know if this is the best way but I use a knife honing (sp) stone to get the edge back and then bend the tips towards each other to get the blades tight again. Also if you can tighten the screw at the hing helps if it has backed off.

jbird
12-14-2005, 10:25 PM
I have heard, but never tried, (may be a wives tale) to cut super fine sandpaper with the scissors. I have done exactly what MSP suggested, honed them and then bent them till the blades have nice friction against each other. The smartest thing I think i did tho was to buy a cheap pair and a good pair and I use both equally....good pair on soft stuff, cheap pair on tough stuff.

J

Darian
12-14-2005, 11:09 PM
Not sure but it sounds like cutting fine grit sandpaper is just a slow way to dull the edges. Coarser grit might be alittle faster, tho.... :lol:

At any rate, multiple pairs of scissors is one solution; sharpening is another.... 8) I'd like to hear from Jay Murakoshi on this one. He ties a massive number of flies with a lot of synthetics. Should have some insights on this subject.... :wink: :wink:

Adam Grace
12-15-2005, 12:56 AM
I have been sharpening my knife with a metal emmery board, klinda crazy but it works.

Maybe try that!

I usually buy another pair, they're not too expensive.

I am using the Dr.Slick Tungsten scissor and I love them, nice and sharp.

About $20, well worth the extra $ is you tie fairly often.

Give'em a try!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-15-2005, 02:12 AM
Might be hard to describe but I use a set of hard Arkansas and soft Washita flat natural honing stones.

I open the scissor and stand the slightly angled edge down flat on the stone. You have to keep it flat while you work it on the stone.

I also try to tighten the screw too.

Maybe lube them a little near the screw.

If the scissors are were more than $20 they might be worth taking to a professional tool sharpener?

Tony Buzolich
12-15-2005, 07:54 AM
You guys are working too hard. Talk to your wives some more if they sew much. My wife sews quilts professionally, has her own sewing room (sort of like my tying room), and has every imaginable tool known to man for doing little stitch things that no one could ever see.

In any case, I asked her one day about sharpening scissors too. She immediately smiled and went in to her cabinet of paraphenalia and came out with three sharpeners the likes of which I'd never seen before.

The best one that worked for her was FISKERS. She said every fabric store in the country carries them and they're about as simple as anything made. Even I could figure it out.

Well I couldn't wait. I grabbed every pair of scissors I had on my bench and went to work with this new found tool. It works great and I now have the sharpest scissors around.

Now, If you don't have a wife that sews, or maybe you're looking to meet some nice gal, try heading over to your local fabic store. Go in there looking helpless and sheepishly ask if anyone could help you sharpen your scissors. :P
TONY

Darian
12-15-2005, 09:13 AM
Hey Tony,..... What happens if you're a crusty Ol' Fart, single for a long time and smell like fish :?: :lol: :lol:

Hairstacker
12-15-2005, 09:52 AM
Tony, you are a crack-up . . . "little stitch things that no one could ever see". . . . :lol: :lol: :lol: (Am now looking for address of local fabric store. :lol: )

Tony Buzolich
12-15-2005, 10:12 AM
Darian,

I guess you're going to have to take a bath more than once a week. :D

If you get a receptive smile you might also ask about what they have that could be used for tying thread. Lots to talk about there, but take a bath first. :lol:
TONY

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-15-2005, 10:41 AM
I thought that old joke about bathing once a week on Saturday night was only fooling around.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-15-2005, 10:59 AM
http://www.cutleryandmore.com/img/2222.jpg

only $69.95?

http://www.accusharp.com/images/154x114shearsharp.jpg

'Shear Sharp' is only $9.95?

http://www.saw-toolsharpening.com/media/BTJ3270914%20%20Model%20327%20Complete%20System.gi f

only $799.95

Darian
12-15-2005, 12:19 PM
I don't care if my scissors are dull or not, I ain't takin' no bath more times per week than I do now.... :shock: :lol: :lol:

Jay Murakoshi
12-19-2005, 10:53 PM
The best gadget I have found is sold right at the fishing shows. It's that diamond bar sharpener. I have been using it for 6 years now and usually carry it with me. The trick is to keep the angle on the blade and if you use a diamond bar to sharpen your scissors and they have serrated edges, they will disappear.
I have sharpened my big heavy Buck knife to where I can almost use it as a fillet knife.

Stop by his booth and watch him demo the sharpener

Jay

PaulC
12-25-2005, 11:26 AM
Hey Tony,
Happened to be in a michaels store looking for some mockup stuff for an engineering project and picked up a pair of fiskers scissor sharpeners. Those things were cheap and brought an old pair of scissors back to life.
Thanks for the tip.
-Paul