PDA

View Full Version : Fly Swing Technique

burdiman
12-14-2005, 09:42 AM
Hi, I have been an occasional lurker on this site and the NCFFB forum and have really appreciated both of them. As a relative beginner I don't really have occasion to provide information.

My question is how does one "swing' a fly? I typically fish the split shot, egg, nymph rig and have had some success but would like to try swinging the fly.

Thanks for any help.

Gary B

Darian
12-14-2005, 10:34 AM
The major difference between swinging flies and nymphing or indicator fishing (as you're already been doing) is that one is done by casting upstream and the other downstream.... 8) 8) Now, that's an over simplification as there're many variations of each technique. :?

Basically, when "swinging", a cast begins quartering down/across stream and letting the fly swing across the current until it is directly below the caster..... This can be accomplished with surface or sub-surface lines. 8)

Each technique has it's advantages/disadvantages.... My personal choice is to swing fies but will adapt to whatever catches fish. :D :D

alaskanfish
12-14-2005, 10:53 AM
burdiman,

Darian's post is right on. Here is a link to FlyAnglers Online. http://www.flyanglersonline.com/ Click on the Fly Fishing 101 and you will find several articles about swinging the fly, surface and subsurface.

Enjoy.

bubzilla
12-14-2005, 03:15 PM
Lots of the time people refer to all of the traditional presentation methods as "swinging". Obviously not all traditional methods are the same, as there are substantial differences between greased line techniques, waking dries, and the standard wet-fly swing, for example. To me, the defining characteristic of all the traditional presentations, and the primary difference between those methods and the various nymphing techniques, is that you're presenting your fly under very slight tension as opposed to dead-drifting. That is, you're swimming the fly at a speed slightly different than the current as opposed to striving to make your fly appear as something naturally swept up by the current.

With the wet-fly swing that swimming effect is generally accomplished by casting across and slightly downstream, mending behind the fly to begin with, and then swinging the fly slowly across current. Take a step or two downstream and repeat until you've covered the run. That is really making something that is sometimes very complex sound overly simple, though.

If you really want to learn more than just the bare basics, there are lots of books that go into great detail on the subject of traditional presentations. Everyone from Trey Combs, to Deke Meyer, to now even Dec Hogan have written books on the subject, and that list is hardly exclusive. Talk to the shop guys for recommendations in that regard.

There are also some primers available Online.

http://www.westfly.com/feature/0008/feature_218.htm

If you're more of a visual learner, I would recommend locating the Lani Waller video series on fly fishing for steelhead. The first video in the three part series, entitled "Fly Fishing for Pacific Steelhead," is really an excellent way to get started. The second and third videos are good as well, but cover slightly more advanced techniques, e.g., riffle-hitch, waking dries, etc. These were originally produced by 3M back in the early to mid 80s, but I think they’re still available. I saw them originally back in the very late 80s and loved them, but didn't own them. Finally, I received a brand new set of them for Christmas about five or six years ago, so they were still around at least at that time. They are timeless, though, so don't let the date of their production scare you. The equipment, for example rods and waders, are antiquated, but the presentations haven't changed, and like the other Mastery Series videos 3M produced during those years, they really are designed to instruct and not just entertain. Waller does advocate, under certain circumstances, the use of weighted flies, twist-on lead on the leader, shooting heads, and other modifications to the traditional presentations that some might find uncouth. But he is approaching the subject with the intent of helping others effectively catch fish.

Hope that helps.

P.S. should have said that I assumed you were talking about how that term applied to fishing for steelhead. There are swinging techniques for trout as well. In fact, on my home river it's one of the primary and by far most effective methods.

burdiman
12-15-2005, 07:26 AM
Thank you very much for the great information. I will try this next time I am on the water, which isn't as often as I like due to a wonderful little two year old I have.

Many thanks.

If you see a 6' 7" dude out on the water it is likely me.

Gary B

Rick J
12-16-2005, 10:05 AM
If you want to use the swing technique for steelheading I would highly recommend watching Lani Waller's videos on steelhead fishing. He goes into depth on the subject

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-16-2005, 10:23 AM
If you want to improve faster you can take one of Jeff Putnam's group classes on Steelheading on the Lower American River.

Winter Steelhead

Sunday / 9am-1pm

December 4

January 8

February 5

$50 per person

Limited to 6 students

Jeff's web site:

http://www.jpflyfishing.com/

Also for good feedback (a better chance to catch something) I would try to swing flies for Steelhead in the Spring, Summer and Fall when the water is warmer (above 50 degrees) so the fish will be more active. Early and late in the day then can be better too.

http://www.jpflyfishing.com/images/jeff-casting_000.gif