PDA

View Full Version : Clear lines

Jgoding
12-13-2005, 11:31 AM
Hey Bill,

Do you have any clear floating running line and fly lines?? 6wt and 8wt for the fly lines.

Thanks,

Jeff

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-14-2005, 01:22 AM
We have some clear Monic lines in our close-out bin because nobody was interested in them.

Adam Grace
12-15-2005, 01:01 AM
Clear floating line do not cast very well in IMHO

I have tried the monic and the clear 555, the 555 was complete garbage!

The monic was better but still nowhere near a regular line.

It's a gimick, Use a long leader.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-15-2005, 01:59 AM
I agree with Adam but some people use the Monics on the tropical salt water flats.

Brad Blancett
01-07-2006, 08:47 PM
Clear floating line do not cast very well in IMHO

I have tried the monic and the clear 555, the 555 was complete garbage!

The monic was better but still nowhere near a regular line.

It's a gimick, Use a long leader.

Adam can you give me more info on the Clear 555 you used and about how long ago.

Jgoding
01-12-2006, 10:26 AM
I guess I just need to shop around for a darker line color. Just hard to do since most floaters seem to come in bright orange, green, or yellow. My dad always taught us to not wear bright colors etc.. but then it's like you're flailing around a bright yellow/orange line and floating it over all the fish so it's seems kind of counter-intuitive to me. But still, every time I go out I see guys wearing bright yellow or white t-shirts, hats, etc... and I guess they do alright so maybe it doesn't really matter.

Adam Grace
01-13-2006, 12:05 AM
I bright line can cause fish to spook but if you carefully cast a bright line and you use a long leader you can get away with a bright line but it's difficult.

Look at S.A.'s GPX line in the willow color, great line and great color.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-13-2006, 09:43 AM
We have tried some clear floating lines but they did not cast/shoot really well so we are still using standard colored floating lines.

We tried some for our tropical flats fishing because sometime in shallow clear water you will over cast cruising fish and when they swim under a floating colored line they will usually spook.

Those lines did not cast as well as some of the colored lines. We still use the colored lines with longer leaders.

Many of the floating lines come in two colors, 1) a bright one that really helps lots of people cast better and then be able to see where it is on the water in low light (when things are best) and 2) a dull color for spooky fish in smooth clear water when the sun is out. We carry both.

We are waiting for the clear floating line technology to get better.