PDA

View Full Version : American Report 12/11/05

Jgoding
12-12-2005, 10:20 AM
Hey everyone, got out about 2:00pm yesterday and fished til 4:15 or so. Saw about 10 people on the river just below Goethe. One guy landed about 3 small steelies. Probably around 12" or so. He then bragged to his buddy that the fish he kept were native... lol, his buddy tore him a new S$%^hole and wasn't quiet about it even with all the other people around. They were gear guys btw, but this damn guy would take like 5 mins to release the damn fish when he caught them.... so I don't think any of them really made it. He was using roe I think cuz he kept baiting up every now and then.

I hooked one nice fish but never saw it. I was throwing a shooting head on my 6wt with an ESL and got a nice take, set the hook and felt a nice fish. I put some pressure on him but he/she wasn't having any and just hunkered down and shook it's head til it popped the hook. Man, i was bummed out all day after that too... I was thinking it could've been a salmon as there were quite a few dead ones around and I did see one skunk swim at me and take off when he saw me. I thought a steelie would take off but since I never saw the fish I don't know.

The water was very murky brownish/greenish. Maybe 1.5 ft vis at best and this was pushing it. I think the recent rain moved a lot of debris and a lot of trees are losing leaves which isn't helping along with all the salmon carcasses I think there's a lot of stuff blooming in the water.

Did see a few small fishing rising so there are steelhead around. A few mayflies were coming off but not so many. The highlight of the day though for me was watching some guy just get his a@# handed to him by some fish. I think it was a salmon but it could've been a nice steely. I think he was drifting roe or beads in some shallow area as fish were moving through and he hooked up. I looked up and just saw this tank taking off in the rapids. This fish had thick shoulders and was just powering off and had himself half way out of the water and heading downstream and I was laughing cuz the poor guy was just holding on for dear life. I knew he never had a chance just by watching that fish and sure enough he popped off in about 5 seconds. Anyways, I guess I shouldn't laugh cuz I lost mine too but I like it when the fish wins...

If I can hook up, anyone can so get out and hit em hard.

Jasonh
12-12-2005, 10:30 AM
Great report. It is nice to hear a report from someone swinging flies! This is one of the most underrated ways to catch steelhead on the american.

Jason Hartwick

Jgoding
12-12-2005, 11:09 AM
LOL Jason, thanks. I did start off with a san juan worm and egg immitation but my split shot fell off after about 5 mins so I said F$%^ this, now I know why I never ever fish with split shot and nymphs etc.... clipped off my flies, reeled up and took out my shooter. LOL, not that I have anything against nymphing etc... but it's just not for me. Just like I won't throw an indicator on. I will swing nymphs/emergers tho, but I never found the appeal to throw weighted nymphs/split shot with a fly rod. If I wanted to bounce stuff along the bottom I have a nice spinning rod that will do the same thing with 90% less effort.

On the otherhand, I've watched many people throw indicators and weighted nymphs around and I can see how effective it is. I got to fish with MSP once and I have a lot of respect for him. He's got a great feel for his drift and detecting strikes and it shows.

Jasonh
12-12-2005, 12:32 PM
Mr poopah, MSP is very good at drifting flies and detecting strikes without using an indicator. Although i have found on the american that the fish like flies on the swing, even nymphs. I have had a lot of strikes as the nymph has finished the dead drift and is beginning to swing. I just prefer to fish on the swing with my spey rod and there is just no comparision when you get that grab on the end of your line on the swing. Keep it up. Only one more week until i will be out there every day swinging for steelhead!

Jason Hartwick

MSP
12-12-2005, 07:08 PM
I hate to say this guys but I went to the American today for a few hours and the fish I hung were NOT on Poopahs :shock: I had a 1/2 pounder on for a while on a Pheasant Tail while I was working my way to my Honey Hole. When I arrived I started swinging and stripping a Black Bugger. 3rd cast I was into a fish I would estimate somewhere between 4 and 6 pounds. Just surfaced 3 times while heading downstream and came unbuttoned. Next cast I was into a 16"er. Didn't fight as well as most 1/2 pounders I have gotten on that river. A few more hard tugs after that but no more stickers. Good day!

Jasonh
12-12-2005, 07:49 PM
Nice report Mike. Sounds like the fish starting to get grabby. Hope it stays that way for a little while. Keep it up.

Jason Hartwick