PDA

View Full Version : Lake Concow

Gregg
12-11-2005, 07:44 PM
I posted this in the stillwater section as well...

My family owns lakefront property on Lake Concow (just North of Oroville). We've had it for decades but haven't done much with it, mainly due to the regulations imposed by the Thermalito Irrigation District. I know it gets very little fishing pressure (if any) and the restrictions on the lake for recreational use are pretty strict. Does anyone have any info on the lake? I read that a DFG study found a self-sustaining population of rainbows (alongside bass, bluegill, etc..). Does anyone know anything about the lake?

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a233/gjshaw/misc/concowresized.jpg

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-11-2005, 09:25 PM
New to me but I would try to fish it fall, winter and spring if you want to catch the trout on top.

Can you use a boat, float tube?

Darian
12-11-2005, 09:43 PM
Never fished there myself but have some friends who used to camp at a private site at the lake and fish during the spring/summer. They were drowning bait for Bass/Catfish/Sunnies.... They did fairly well. 8) 8)

It seems to me that Jim Victorrine (has a fly shop in Auburn) used to include some materials about Concow in his seminars on Smallmouth Bass Fishing.... You might try to contact that shop (Sierra Fly Anglers :?: :?: ) for more info.... :D :D

Gregg
12-11-2005, 11:26 PM
Bill-

The firm that controls the water rights has been in constant litigation over recreational useage for decades. From what I understand, it flip-flops between restricted use and no use. I know you aren't allowed to be in the water (swim, wade, etc...), but I'm not sure if you can use a boat of sorts. I heard boats are allowed, but no motors so rowing would be the only option. I keep fantasizing about how good it could potentially be. Year round cool water, abundant insect life, and extremely low pressure. I'd be surprised if any fish had ever seen a fly...