PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Sorting Through the Publications

Randolph R. Birkman
12-11-2005, 11:08 AM
I am relatively new to the sport of fly fishing so I have yet to review all the magazines in this area. Could the more seasoned members of the message board please be of assistance. In an effort to keep my life simple, I am looking for one magazine that provides travel suggestions, tips/techniques, information on new products and topics (environmental, political, etc.) important to the sport. Simply put, if you had to take one magazine on the subject, what would it be and why?

Thanks

Terry Thomas
12-11-2005, 11:22 AM
If I had to choose one magazine...California Fly Fisher.. Several good travel destinations within the state each issue. Andy Burk always has an interesting pattern or technique. Ralph Cutter, one of the best in the "bug world." Tom Martins does a nice job covering the conservation issues facing the state. You can always count on Jim Zech to write an article that is "on the edge" with some good twisted humor.
T.

Darian
12-11-2005, 12:56 PM
Terry's recommendation is a good one. I subscribe myself. It's a good all around magazine. :D :D

However, all of the fishing magazines carry promotional materials for whatever the theme of the publication is. Also, they tend to address eviranmental concerns for their area of interest. For example, SaltWater Fly Fishing carries promo/travel materials for that area of fly fishing and not much else. California Fly Fisher is mainly west coast stuff. 8) 8)

Much of the info in these mag's may not be applicable to where you are or at what stage of development you're at.... 8) So, in reality, I'd recommend that you take some time to read whatever meets your fancy, then pare down the list of likely pubs you'll want. :D :D :D

Gregg
12-11-2005, 03:12 PM
I'm a big fan of Fly Rod & Reel, and Northwest Fly Fisher. Northwest focuses on the Pacific states & BC, and has a great travel section devoted to various waters. Unfortunatley, it is only issued 4-5 times a year, as opposed to Fly Rod & Reel which is monthly. FR&R has broader coverage, which is cool if you don't want to just focus on the West Coast. I'm a magazine nut, so I subscribe to a handful of publications, but these two are my favorites. The price of a subscription is so small, it may be worth it to pick up a couple, definitley including California Fly Fisher. I can think of way too many things I waste 16 bucks on anyway! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Also, if you do end up subscribing to more than one, or throw away issues once you've read them, there are a few highschool fly fishing clubs in the area which would probably love the extra magazines. I'm sure Bill could direct you to the best place to donate them.

Digger
12-11-2005, 06:36 PM
If you had to get just one, I'd also go with Calif Fly Fisher.
The info's right on mostly and advertising pages are limited. It may not have the glossy photo's to give ya a woody, but page for page it contains good info.

Randolph R. Birkman
12-12-2005, 08:33 AM
Thanks for the great feedback but I should have mentioned I will be relocating to Austin, TX from Sacramento in the next several months. Sorry for leaving that information out. While I hope to get back to the West Coast to fish periodically, I expect that most of my fishing will be confined to the hill country of Texas with an occational trip to Colorado and New Mexico.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-12-2005, 09:49 AM
For us I California I to recommend the "Cal Fly Fisher" which comes out 6 times a year and is in most fly shops.

It is fly fishing only and California only for $2.95 per copy.

After that there are tons of fly fishing magazines.

"Fly Fisherman" is the most widely read fly fishing magazine.

There are some other good fly fishing magazines though and competition is stiff.

Rod & Reel, Fish & Fly, Northwest Flyfisher are all good.

Then my two favorites because I am a tropical flat fishing junky, Salt Water Fly Fishing and Fly Fishing in Salt Water.

"Fly Tyer" is still very popular with those who tie flies.

Maybe sample some at the book stores and fly shops and then subscribe to one or two?

Jasonh
12-12-2005, 09:56 AM
I currently live in Austin and as far as reading material for around this area i would look at Southwest Fly fishing. There is usually a few good articles in every issue that deal with some of fisheries within a few hours drive from Austin. If you have any inforamtion about fishing in the Austin area, shoot me an email.

Jason Hartwick

Randolph R. Birkman
12-13-2005, 08:36 AM
Thanks again for all the great suggestions. I will review several and narrow the field.

Jason, I hope to be settled in Austin within the next several months and will contact you then. Thank you for offering your time. Bill K. has also given me the names of several ex-Californians now residing in Austin which you may know as well. One thing I am coming to appreciate about this activity is how close knit a family it is. It's a great thing!!!!