PDA

View Full Version : Smith this winter

Digger
12-11-2005, 08:12 AM
I'm planning on trying the Smith this xmas-new years, as probably many others will. Having never fished it before, I'm wondering if anyone can offer personal opinions/experience about it. Most everything I hear is in and around the Hiouchi Hamlet or Gasquet areas. I've been looking at the Streamtime map and wondering where the better spots are for wading.

Also, if anyone wants to share notes about the south fork, I'd love to hear about it. I understand it's less crowded and more remote access(?)
Thanks.

matt johnson
12-11-2005, 09:48 AM
Hey Digger,

I am not an expert on the Smith, but I have spent about 5 days on it, and have buddies who fish it a lot and love it.

Your best bet at actually catching a fish on the fly is to fish the Middle Fork with indicators and glo-bugs. There are lots of access points, but the really sweet runs are not always obvious. The middle fork runs with amazing speed and power. Just drive up and down the highway until you spot the few pools and tail-outs where it slows down. There will be fish there if the river is fishable.

Same thing on the South Fork, although there are far fewer access points. I recall some decent water around the two bridges within the legal water above the forks. Not many people up there.

I have spent most of my time on the main-stem. The run at Jed-Smith park is beautiful swing water. Tan Oak access has some nice water. Actually, most of the main-stem has nice gravel bars with good swing water. The only problem is dealing with all of the gear boats and plunkers. They hate fly-fishermen. Try to stay below the forks in the morning, and above the forks in the afternoon to avoid the fleet. The plunkers will interrupt your swing and step every time. If a guide boat floats right over your line (this has actually happened to me) just reel up and go indicator fish the Middle Fork. It is a fairly tough crowd up there.

If the water is low and clear, the lower river is a super tough proposition. You want the cdec gauge to be at 11' and dropping for the lower river. The forks probably fish best at about 9'.

The Smith is really neat. Good luck and hope this helps, Matt.

Digger
12-11-2005, 06:27 PM
Thanks Matt. That's all good info.
I'm not sure what/where the middle fork is???

You know, that's the crap about 'some' guides that makes me not likely to hire one. They have to put their clients onto fish and it seems they loose all respect for others out there. But, let's not make a debate over it here (perhaps another time).

Also, aside from glo-bugs, what's worked? The typical steelie fare of brindles, asassins, etc.?

matt johnson
12-11-2005, 09:17 PM
Digger,

The Middle Fork is basically the Smith River above Hiouchi. Highway 199 follows the Middle Fork. You can't miss the "forks", where the South Fork dumps in above Hiouchi. You can see this from the road, and a bridge crosses the river at this point. Below the forks is the main Smith.

Besides glo-bugs, I have heard of fish taken on Bosses and Polar Shrimp type flies. Mike Kuzinski of the Eureka Flyshop is a good person to chat with regarding taking a Smith steelie using a traditional presentation. If you are lucky enough to catch a fish swinging flies on the Smith, I would recommend squealing with glee, going straight to the bar, and then never steelhead fishing again, as it will be all downhill from there. Catching a fish indicator fishing on one of the forks is not exactly easy, but is well within the realm of possibility. The fish will most likely be wild and gorgeous, and it could weigh 20 pounds! Good Luck! Matt.

Darian
12-11-2005, 10:05 PM
Hey Digger,.... Down the forum dated 11/18 is the topic, SMITH RIVER. 8) In it is some of the info you might want.... 8) There's, also, a link to a magazine article that has additional in one of the posts under that topic. 8)

Hope this helps.... :D :D