PDA

View Full Version : Lots of Steelhead in the Lower American right now

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-10-2005, 10:35 PM
I think we are 'missing the boat' here.

I talked with someone today who was talking with a serious convention fisherman who told him he had caught 24 Steelhead above Watt Avenue.

He said they ran from 14" to 9 pounds.

I think we just need to get some serious people out there and really fish that river hard.

This is when the big winter run is coming into the river.

DS18
12-11-2005, 03:04 AM
I am a beginner fly fisherman. I have a 10weight that i got for salmon and stripers in the american. Is a #10 to heavy for steelhead?

DS

jbird
12-11-2005, 10:01 AM
DS

Nothing is too heavy for steelhead. Though you do take the fun out of it with a big stick. My advise is, dont let that detail get in your way of enjoying diving into steelhead flyfishing. Once you get into the sport and learn more about whats what, you can start picking up other gear. Flygear is expensive so just use what youve got until you really know what you need. My advise would be totaly diferent if you asked if a 4wt was adiquate for steelhead. I have had to explain several times to my wife, regarding buying new rods, flyfishing is a bit like golf. You cant realisticaly get around the golf coarse with just a driver, theres a right club for every situation. So is the case with fly fishing.....Then you'll discover the endless horizon of choosing lines for your rods.

Good luck, have fun and welcome to the sport.

Jay

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-11-2005, 10:04 AM
Hi DS18,

You could use a #6-8 weight outfit for Steelhead in the river if you have one in that size.

A #10 is pretty big but I would not let that stop me.

I would either go after them with the indicator/split shot/nymph/egg system or I would use a sink tip, short 4-6' 2x leader with something black and weighted like a #8 Boss or black woolly bugger or leech or marabou Spey fly/Popsicle.

I think it would be better early and late on the sunny days and all day on the over cast ones.

You can fish from Goethe Park downstream to River Park/Cal Expo area.

Drifting the river with a good drift boat guide would be the best way.

It is less than 3 weeks till the upper river opens.

bruce mace
12-11-2005, 11:29 AM
Okay! Never fished the American for steelhead... but, that what I love to do. Got a drift boat, another steelhead buddy and a day off tomorrow. Coming from the bay area should we fish the American or Yuba? Suggestions for a drift of up to 10 miles? Shuttle? Put in and take out points? Lots of questions, I realize... but, maybe someone out there can set us on the correct path. Steelhead tomorrow!

Jasonh
12-11-2005, 11:48 AM
Bill, your dead on. Not enough people target these steelhead until the upper river reopens which is later in the run. By then most of the fish are getting dark and preparing to spawn. There is some great steelhead water between goethe and paradise beach and i have hooked quite a few steelhead in early december especially around paradise beach. I wish i could be there now fishing for them as i would be outh there everyday. People need to get out there and fish and learn the river. The more you go, the more you will learn the river and where these flish like to hold. Give it a try and post a report.

Jason Hartwick

Darian
12-11-2005, 01:12 PM
Hey Bruce,.... This forum is a litttle slow to meet your needs for a trip tomorrow. 8) I'd recommend calling Kiene's, today for current info and help. You can find the shop's number on the home page... 8) 8)

chapmag
12-12-2005, 11:53 AM
I have the same issue as DS18, but from the opposite direction. I just got back into the sport and bought a general purpose 5 weight rig. I've been wading on the American using primarily the indicator/shot/egg/nymph system and have had pretty good luck with the ~16" fish. What other methods would any of you recommend for a 5 weight?

Jgoding
12-12-2005, 12:01 PM
I think a 5-6wt is good for the half pounders but anything over 20" I'm not so sure about. I know plenty of guys have probably landed adult fish on smaller rods but back in March some little chromer kicked my butt on my 6 wt. The fish had total control and just screamed on his runs and jumps. I think I lost my fish yesterday because back in my mind I didn't want to pressure him too much in fear of the fish taking off on a line screaming run on my 6wt. I was thinking of using my 8wt too but I just grabbed the 6wt figuring I wouldn't hook anything too big.... and I don't have a floater for it either.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-13-2005, 01:03 AM
JG,

"Did you catch anything".........."No, did you"........

Where did that come from?

I laugh out loud every time I read it.

PaulC
12-13-2005, 08:43 AM
My limited experience with steelheading is I can get by with my 6 wt with fish up to 10 lbs, but the rod has some serious bend in it to get the fish in fast. Turning the fish is key when using lighter tackle. I had one this winter in the 10lb range that I thought was going to blow up the 6wt trying to land it quickly.
My 8wt is a bit overgunned except for the larger steelhead.
My friend this season brought a 7wt 9'6" winston that seemed like the happy medium between the two.
That little extra length does help with the roll casts.
Probably not as much of that on the american but lots of it on other rivers up there.
I've only fished the american a couple times, but a spey rod looks like a blast on that river.
-Paul

Jgoding
12-13-2005, 09:29 AM
LOL Bill, I just thought it would be a great sign off, I pretty much just made it up as something two anglers might say as they passed each other on the way out....

I do catch fish....on occasion.... so it's not always true....

Paul, I bet you can land most fish on a 6wt... I just had my confidence shaken I guess, that's all. But people have told me that the rod I use are known to not have much of a back-bone etc... and have a tendency to break pretty easy. (Which I have done on a snag which I pulled free with my hand after the rod broke pretty easy....good thing for lifetime warranties!!) What size tippet to you go down to Paul?? I usually use down to a 5X so it's hard for me to imagine turning a 10lber with that if it wants to run in a bad way...

Jeff

PaulC
12-13-2005, 10:24 AM
Hey Jeff,
I am usually using either straight 3X or 2X fluoro. I don't use tapered leaders. They don't seem to increase my takes and cost more.
I'll go all the way down to 1X if I'm throwing bigger flies. Anything lower than 3X, I find the breakoffs outweigh the increase in takes.
I think if you get a real runner in fast water, you're running after it regardless of tippet/leader.
-Paul

Here's one big fish on the 6wt from a couple weeks ago.
Man, was it cold out there. But as usual...the crappier the weather the better.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/Cronin/Cold_Steelie.jpg

Hairstacker
12-13-2005, 11:12 AM
Wow Paul, that is a very nice, powerful looking fish. Bet it was a blast! 8)

Jgoding
12-13-2005, 11:22 AM
Thanks Paul.

Thinking about it I think I did only go down to 3X or so on that shooting head. I'm just used to tying everything down to a 5X on my floater I forgot. I haven't tried flouro yet either. I want to use up my Orvis super strong first before I try anything else... Any recommendations Bill??

Jeff

PaulC
12-13-2005, 12:04 PM
Hey Jeff,
I don't know if Bill stocks it, but I really like the frog hair fluoro.
The rio stuff is nice also.
The frog hair guide spools are a bit pricey, but at 100m per spool...you don't have to worry about running out any time soon.
-Paul

Jgoding
12-14-2005, 09:18 AM
Thanks Paul,

I will go by Kienes and check it out. I've heard good things about the Frog Hair products and I have a gift certificate to burn up!

jbird
12-14-2005, 05:59 PM
Myself and a few buddies are using the orvis mirage flourocarbon. 2X for steelhead. It is incredible tippet material. It is comparable to the best flouro you can find. The price is really great too. $9.95 for 40 meters! Most of the top end flouros are $13-$14 for 27-30 meters. I will cry if orvis ever discontinues this line of tippet. I atribute much of my success to that line.

Jay

Hairstacker
12-15-2005, 10:24 AM
I use the Orvis Mirage fluorocarbon as well. It is stronger per diameter than Orvis Superstrong mono, which is one of the strongest monos out there. I agree, good stuff at a comparatively very reasonable price.