PDA

View Full Version : Like the new Forum.....

WillJ
12-10-2005, 05:05 PM
for new products Bill. Can we ask you questions about what you think of the products & what you're hearing about them?
Thanks Bill.. and thanks for a truly outstanding site & board.
-will (confessed gear fanatic)

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-10-2005, 10:11 PM
Hi Will,

You would not want to work in a fly shop then because it is really tough to resist it every day.

Yes Will you can ask questions and make comments too.

I think we will all learn something hear.

We all have different needs and different tastes too.
__________________________________________________ ___
I worked in a big sporting goods store ~40 years ago with hunting and fishing equipment. I was right out of high school and fished and hunted a lot then. One of my fellow workers, Bruce, bought a gun a month and he was married. This was not a good subject with his wife. He got caught smuggling another gun in one day and his wife went wild.

He said he put his head down and tried to look very dejected and sad. His wife ask him what was wrong and he replied," My dad bought this gun for me when I graduated from high school and you don't even recognize it. That's how much attention you pay to my hobby." He waited a little and looked even more dejected and his wife finally said she was sorry if she hurt his feelings.

What a pro..........

WillJ
12-11-2005, 11:46 PM
That is so damn funny Bill..... :lol:

Close to home too.
I worked for Leo and Doug over at Fish First in Albany for about half a year before relocating my family to Southern Oregon recently. I had pretty decent paying work but was (and am) so taken by the sport I just wanted to know more and meet people and gladly they were gracious enough to hire me. I only ended up working about 1 day every couple weeks and filling in for people who were out of town on business (fishing).

Two words ... Pro Forms. How do you explain to your wife you need a rod and line for every conceivable angling situation? Needless to say it got pretty nutty around our house too.
I loved my experience at the shop and absolutely LOVE fishing with really top of the line gear. (It really is that nice... isn't it?)
So now I'll just bug my local shop here in Ashland until they just turn around one day and say, "when did you start working here?" and to that I'll say "last week of course" and it will be all good
:D

PS... Go ahead and remove this thread from the new forum if you want. I missed your post under General where you basically answered all my questions about it. It'll look neater too..
Thanks Bill

:)

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-12-2005, 12:19 AM
Great WillJ

You are part of the 'family' now having been behind the counter too.

It is really different after you spend a few months working in a shop. You get to see all the different profiles. It is a fun life style and is addicting in many ways. I have been behind the counter for 40+ years and I am not any crazier than the day I started. When I was young I would tell my friends that they actually pay me to BS about fishing???