PDA

View Full Version : Scott's new G2 rods are here too

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-09-2005, 11:59 PM
http://www.scottflyrod.com/images/rods/g2.jpg

We just received a shipment of new Scott G2 rods which are an all new smooth light action series with old classic G series cosmetics.

These rods are designed for the light tippet, small fly crowd. With these light touch rods you can fish for big trout with light 6x-7x tippets and small flies on smooth water.

Scott web site:

http://www.scottflyrod.com/rods_g2.html

WillJ
12-10-2005, 05:01 PM
Think it was a bit risky for Scott to go with the maple spacer (is that what it's called?), asthetically speaking. Looks out of place with the grey & red. Kind of an ugly rod. Does it look better in person Bill?
Sure it fishes great though, people love the G series. i have 2 S3's that I really like.
-will

Terry Thomas
12-10-2005, 05:22 PM
I believe that if you see one in person you may have a different opinion. I think that they really look good. I had an opportunity to cast the 5 wt....what a great casting rod!
T.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-10-2005, 09:54 PM
In person they are a classy looking rod, but I am a little color blind.

Gregg
12-10-2005, 11:29 PM
I'm right there with you, Will. It does look off, which is a slight bummer for how amazing that rod is. It looks like Scott will still offer the original G in a 3 wt, though. However, I'd still be hard pressed to look past it on the rack when it comes time to splurge on a new rod... :D

aaron
12-12-2005, 10:23 PM
It actually looks pretty good in person as the end cork ring matches the wraps.

Adam Grace
12-15-2005, 01:04 AM
Quite a nice rod.

I have the older standard G series and it rocks. The problem is that weekend warriors cannot properly control the softer action. That's why Scott came out with the faster actioned G2. More fly guys can cast this faster version.

The G2 is a very nice rod!

Give one of Bill's a cast out in his parking lot and see for yourself.

Gregg
12-16-2005, 06:26 PM
Terry was right, it looks great in person. I think the photo lightens up the wood substantially. The 4wt that's at the shop right now looked mighty tempting...

flygolf
12-16-2005, 08:16 PM
I'm a huge fan of the older G series rods I have several in the lighter line weights and even in the 7 weight range that I think is a great steelhead nymphing rod. I would be interested to see how much different (stiffer) this new series is. What's the highest line weight it comes in?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-17-2005, 11:21 AM
Many of the old G series fly rods, especially the 2 piece models, had a strong butt (2/3 of the rod) and then a soft tip which in its day was OK. It gave us a rod series we could cast long with the butt and then have the soft tip for very light tippets. Some of the multi-piece had a more balanced action.

The new G2 series is still fairly soft and smooth but has a better casting action with better balance throughout the rod.

This new series that comes in 7'7" to 9' lengths and in line size #2 to #6.

These rods are for people who want to fish for large trout with very light tippets and smaller flies.

If you want to land 20" wild Rainbow trout on 6x tippet fishing in the surface film with small dries this delicate series might be for you.

Of coarse with a softer rod you have to really become a good fly caster to be effective in the wind or in longer casting.

Most use fast rods because they cast further with less skill.

Many will evolve to fishing softer and lighter rods as they progress in the sport especially for trout.

Top veteran fly fishers like Dave Whitlock, Fred Gordon, Hal Janssen, Chris Pasley and Bob Giannoni fish very soft, light action small line size rods for very large fish with very light tippet.

The lighter/softer action and smaller the line size will allow you to stay connected to very big hot fish with light tippets.