PDA

View Full Version : Great magazine article on Steelheading

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-07-2005, 11:37 PM
In the latest issue (Autumn 2005) of "Fish & Fly" magazine is a great article by Dec Hogan on fly fishing for Steelhead the traditional way.

I have had two really top local fly fishers tell me how good this article is so I am passing this along.

Fish & Fly magazine's web site:

http://www.fishandflymagazine.com/

WillJ
12-08-2005, 12:23 AM
That magazine came and went so fast from the shop here in Ashland OR I never got a chance to check it out. Fortunately I understand it's an excerpt from a book he wrote thats soon to hit the shelves.
Lots of coffee table books this year.. or is it just me?
-w

bubzilla
12-08-2005, 04:07 AM
The book is already available, and has been since June I guess, directly through Wild River Press. Pero is the publisher of both Fish and Fly and Dec's book so it would appear there might be a little advertising going as well. It's a good enough article--with lots of pics of Ed Ward fighting and landing a fish, as well as river diagrams in multiple cross section to illustrate holding water suited to wet fly presentations--but as a collection of excerpts rather than a traditional article it doesn't flow all that well and is a bit disjunctive. I wouldn't mind reading the actual book just to check out some of his other theories like the one that steelhead that are biters don't don't hold tight to the bottom, but will probably wait for a softbound version that's less expensive than the $60.00 hardbound one currently being sold.

Just headed out the door to brave the roads for a little late-season steelheading on the Klamath with Sculpin. There's close to a foot of snow in my yard, so getting to a running river will be a nice change. :lol:

WillJ
12-08-2005, 06:50 PM
Looking forward to a report Bubz, haven't heard much from down there in a while. Going to hit it next weekend with a friend if the weather holds.
-w

Jasonh
12-09-2005, 03:18 PM
That is a great article/excerpt in Fish and Fly. I think this article hows the importance of presenting your fly correctly as opposed to fly selection. I think too many people get caught up in fishign different flies than maintaining a good presentation. Must read for those new to fishing on the swing.

Jason Hartwick