PDA

View Full Version : SaltWater Fly Pattern

Darian
12-02-2005, 11:55 PM
Hey everyone,.... There's an intriguing fly pattern on Gary Graham's site that I'm looking for pattern instructions on. The name of the pattern is BV Sardine.... 8)

This fly has an brown/olive overwing of marabou feathers and what appears to be an underwing of white synthetic fibres or bucktail. The body and head appears to be some type of large tubing; clear enough to let the color of the marabou wing show through.... :?

Haven't been able to locate the pattern in the databases I've searched.... :(

Any help would be appreciated.... 8) 8)

PaulC
12-04-2005, 08:50 PM
Hey Darian,
Maybe BV stands for Bob Vervaka possibly referring to his "East Cape Sardine"?. Attached is one of his articles. Pretty cool article even if I'm off base on the fly pattern.
He has contact info....maybe you can shoot him an email?
Hope this helps,
Paul

http://www.flyfishingforum.com/expertise/veverka2/BAJA.htm

David Lee
12-04-2005, 09:26 PM
D -

I didn't find a BV Sardina on there ......

There iS a Baja Wasabi .... is that the one ??? If you post on Garys board , I'm sure he will list the pieces/parts/stuff that make it up .

Gary and Lance have been super-helpful w/ all my silly questions :roll:

David

Jay Murakoshi
12-05-2005, 03:05 AM
Darian,

I have just finished up with a couple new fly patterns for baja. One pattern is tied with slinky fiber, some buck tail, and krystal flash. The other one is a clouser with different colors. It's looking like a sardina. Olive/brown back, some flashabou and KF. It actually looks like KD's clown clouser but this fly is supporting a stinger hook.

I'm also designing a couple other patterns with stingers for stripers. Hopefully this will prevent of eliminate the short strikes.

Jay

Tony Buzolich
12-05-2005, 03:07 PM
Hi Jay,

How do you attach your stinger on to your main hook? At my shop we've got some ready made Gamakatsu stinger hooks that come with soft loops already attached. They're designed to be added to existing lures but could easily be added to flies as well.

Hmmmmm? Now you've got me thinking. Maybe I could add stingers to all my baitfish patterns?

Any thought about what it may do to the wiggle on a flashtail?
TONY

Jay Murakoshi
12-05-2005, 07:29 PM
Tony,

On the marlin flies, I'm using 95lb Sevenstrand wire. My loops are permenant to the stinger and the leads are wrapped to the shank of the main hook. One strand of wire is run through the eye of the hook.
For my striper flies, I'm using 18 and 27lb Sevenstrand wire, both wires are uncoated. I'm tying part of the flash tail on the stinger but short and sparse. The main fly also has a FT but only to the eye of the stinger hook.
The stinger hook is around or less than an inch from the main hook

Hope this helps

Jay

Darian
12-06-2005, 03:16 AM
Thanks for the input guys.... 8) 8) I'm still working on it. Still like Jay's Sardina (Sea Habit) pattern, tho.... :wink: