PDA

View Full Version : Fox Poopah for steelhead

sculpin
12-02-2005, 07:25 PM
After reading this board for a bit it sounds like a few of you like the Fox Poopah for steelhead down your way. I'm going to give it a try on the Rogue if it ever clears up. What hook sizes and body materials have worked best for you with this critter.

Thanks Mark

MSP
12-02-2005, 08:00 PM
Hey Mark, I've had some good results with size 12 and 14 on the American and 8's and 10's on the Trinity. I carry all sizes and they do seem to work OK :shock:

For body material use Vernille or Ultra Chanille in Worm Brown, Orange, Olive and I had some good success using a Tan Pearl Core Braid doubled back to the head in a size 8. Good Luck :)

SullyTM
12-02-2005, 08:23 PM
I agree with MSP, the "Poopah Prince". I've seen him first-hand work a poopah into a steelies mouth. Tie up a bunch and have fun catching some fish. SullyTM

Hairstacker
12-02-2005, 09:25 PM
Yep, I was just waiting for Mike to pipe in on this one, ha.

Darian
12-02-2005, 10:04 PM
Hey Mike,.... When you mentioned sizes, it might help to know if your hooks were standard length or longer :?: :?: The pictures you posted while fishing on the Trinity looked like they were tied on longer shank hooks. 8) 8)

MSP
12-03-2005, 12:02 AM
You're right Darian, I usually tie them on 1x or 2x long. Actually it's whatever I grab out of my hook box. You can probably tell I'm not very technical about my tying.

sculpin
12-03-2005, 08:17 AM
Thanks for the responses guys. I like the Poopah because it looks like an easy tie. I don't like spending much time on steelhead flies because their not real picky. What thickness of Chinelle or Vernille are you folks using for the different sizes? I will have to order it because our local shops don't have any.

Mark

MSP
12-03-2005, 10:28 AM
I use fine for all sizes. A single length for 12's and 14's and I double it when tying the larfer sizes. Just tie in a length, run it just past the bend of the hook then double it back to where you started. The fish don't seem mind. You can get the material in larger sizes but it doesn't seem to be as dense.

Hairstacker
12-03-2005, 10:37 AM
I use fine as well. When tying it single length on 12's and 14's, I like to cut it off just past the bend and singe the very end with a lighter and mold it into a little point with my fingertips.

sculpin
12-03-2005, 08:00 PM
Thanks a lot for all the input guys. I appreciate it. I'll let you know if the fish up this way care for them . I may have to wait till next fall though.

Mark