PDA

View Full Version : Introductions

alaskanfish
12-01-2005, 02:14 PM
Hey,

New to this BB. Found the link on Alaska Flyfishers. I am a guide on the Kenai Peninsula in Alaska. I work mostly on the Kenai River but other areas including fly fishing as well. (sorry not a commercial... just introduction...).

I did notice only one member that posted a location that may be Alaskan???? (listed 3000 miles north of CA).

Hope to learn as well as contribute much.

I appreciate your stated rules for posting regarding offensive material and the assertions of the moderator to promptly remove such material.

Ed

David Lee
12-01-2005, 02:20 PM
Hi Ed , welcome !!!!

Could you tell us a little bit about the fishing you enjoy in the great state of Alaska ??

David :D

FHTFYR
12-01-2005, 02:46 PM
Welcome,
Looking forward to many great posts from your great state

alaskanfish
12-01-2005, 04:14 PM
David and FHTFYR,

Thanks,

If it involves fishing, that's what I enjoy in Alaska. I am a guide on the Kenai River, so I enjoy fishing for salmon (King, Red, Silver, and Pink). The guided trips are msotly out of a boat and typically involve lures or baits.

Fishing for red salmon, however is almost exclusively fly fishing with drifted streamers. Silvers do quite well on the flies as well. I've seen folks casting flies for Kings on the Kenai River, but have only seen one caught... King fishing with flies is great on the Kasilof River.

Rainbow Trout fishing on the Kenai is spectacular! It is common to catch rainbows in excess of 30" fishing flies or corkies. I caught a nice bow on a 4wt with a flesh fly this year... it was a blast.

I also greatly enjoy float tubing the still water for rainbows and grayling.

Finally, halibut fishing is great... sometimes it is more like a tractor pulling contest, but nevertheless, it is great to be out on the open water, fishing the bottom.

got some galleries on the web site www.alaskanfishguides.com/gallery.htm

Enjoy.

KurtJ
12-01-2005, 04:35 PM
Yes, there is at least one other Alaskan on this board. I'm a transplant from Northern California and I used to fish with a few of the board members. Now I am working in Anchorage.

But I am still trying to figure out what to do with my spey rods up here.

I also hold the minority opinion(at least locally) that CA has better fishing that Alaska(that ought to stir it!)

alaskanfish
12-01-2005, 04:40 PM
Thanks Kurt,

I haven't found a use for Spey rods in Alaska either, other than hanging over the mantle.

I have seen photo's of CA fishing, and have to admit that they look very intriguing. Certainly their season is much longer, you have to really enjoy fly fishing to be out in Alaska this time of year (can be done, nevertheless).

I'll bet CA doesn't do much for ice fishing however???? :P

Darian
12-01-2005, 11:45 PM
Hi Ed,.... Believe it or not, there's a few places on the eastern side of the Sierra's that have some decent ice fishin'.... 8) 8) Of course it's not the same as it is in Alaska or Minnesota or other places like that but still good.... 8)

Good to have you aboard. :D :D :D