PDA

View Full Version : Prime time fishing in the Tropics

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-28-2005, 11:09 AM
Sadly summer is the prime time for the Tropics for serious fly fishing (in most cases).

The best fly fishing in Baja is June through October in the warmer months. That doesn't mean that you should not go down there in the winter but don't expect to see the best fly fishing then.

For a commando fly fishing trip most go in the summer with July being a very popular month for Dorado at Loreto.

Same with the MX Yucatan and Belize in the Caribbean. The best months would be May through August to plan a serious fly fishing trip.

The official Hurricane season down that way is June through November but we consider the heart of it to be Sept/Oct.

June through October is the rainy season so then November through May is the dry season. That makes the winter better for site seeing plus the temperatures can be a little cooler.

You can still have some good fishing down there in the winter. It would be the time for a trip with the wives with some site seeing and fishing. In the winter months we don't normally plan serious commando fly fishing trip down there because you can have a "northern" come down from the east coast and put the fish off the flats. If this happens on a trip with the wives you can just go site seeing till it passes.

There are some tropical destinations that are pretty good year round because they are very near the equator like Christmas Island in the Central Pacific and Los Roques off the coast of Venezuela. Here they have very near the same weather year round.

Winter is billfish time in Costa Rica.

If you need help planning a serious commando fly fishing trip to the tropics or a warm winter vacation with the wife just drop me an email or come into the shop.

http://www.kiene.com/gallery/albums/tropicalflats/CTC2006Aug27003.jpg

My favorite fishing - Baby Tarpon!

jbird
11-28-2005, 09:11 PM
Bill

You could post that picture every day and I'd never get tired of staring at it, with my chin resting on my palm, goin, "ooooohhhhh......yeahhhh!

J

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-28-2005, 10:11 PM
Hi jbird,

I don't know anyone who would not like that kind of fly fishing. It is a lot like top water black bass fishing. We have been using lots of surface flies lately. Wild explosive takes. I have fun taking my old fishing buddies with me.

http://www.kiene.com/gallery/albums/tropicalflats/CTC2006Aug26020.jpg

Setting the hook............all left hand.