PDA

View Full Version : Steelhead possibilities now

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-28-2005, 10:22 AM
Lower American River from Goethe Park downstream - lots of Salmon in the river now. When the upper river opens Jan 1st it should be very good.

Lower Feather River has been good. It is probably the top place in the Valley.

Lower Yuba River has few Steelhead and lots of wild trout.

Lower Sacramento River has Steelhead with Salmon spawning and lot of big Rainbows too.

The Trinity River will fish all winter.

The upper Klamath is still fishing well.

Dead drfting a nymph and egg imitation under an indicator is probably the best way to go now.

Going with a good local drift boat guide will really change things for many.

Tony Buzolich
11-28-2005, 05:40 PM
This is an old story on the Feather but the salmon just keep coming in and along with them come the steelhead. There have been salmon coming in since April continuously. For the past couple of weeks there have been new salmon at Shanghai Bend mixed with older red salmon that are stacked up there. Almost every drainage canal in the area has salmon in it. The Sutter Bypass has salmon in it. Wherever there is a culvert with moving water feeding into the Sac or the Feather there are salmon.

What I'm getting at is the steelhead are here too along with the salmon.

A lot of guys and guides too are complaining about the lack of steelhead and salmon in the Feather this year. I disagree.

Maybe comparing to previous years it isn't as good? But, I've only been fishing it for about 25-28 years and I don't think things are TOO bad.

I'll be on the river again tomarrow, in the rain, looking for some more fresh fish. Some will be bright and chrome, some will be in full color. In either case I'll be targeting adult steelhead. No disrespect to halfpounders.
TONY

Jasonh
11-28-2005, 06:20 PM
Good Luck Tony. Give us a report and some pics if you have any luck.

Jason Hartwick

dberry
11-28-2005, 06:52 PM
We've had enough rain on the coast to put everything from the Russian north out by tonite [Trinity may be okay for a few days because its snowing up there]. We have had over 1 1/2 inches at Mendocino today and the Navarro bar has broken. On and off rain all week is predicted. Great news for us old time iron head chasers.

Gregg
11-28-2005, 10:14 PM
dberry-

It sounds like you are familiar with the Mendocino coast. I'm in Mendocino regularly and wonder about steelhead options in Big River. Any experience?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-28-2005, 10:26 PM
I think old Hal Janssen sneaks up to the Navarro River in the winter.

If I was retired with bigger arteries I would be there too.

http://www.kiene.com/gallery/albums/Steelhead-Salmon/garciariversteelhead.jpg

Garcia River Steelhead (pre-catch-n-release) 1950?

dberry
11-29-2005, 12:07 AM
Never tried Big River. Locals indicate that the steelhead in Big River were wiped out by stream/habitat destruction. I don't know of anyone who fishes it. Ask the DFG census folks about returns.

Gregg
11-29-2005, 01:43 AM
Good idea. I know there has been lots of money dumped into big river to try to make it what it once was. I talked to a ranger last summer and he said they still get runs of cutts. I would think that further up there might be some steelies, but Navarro or Gualala might be better bets still...

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-29-2005, 09:16 AM
I hear that Hal Janssen still fishes the Navarro so it must have fish.

I hear that the Garcia has been better than the Gualala the past few years.

In Feb if it doesn't rain for a while (gets muddy) I hear the Russian River can be good.

The other river that is good in Jan/Feb is the Mad River.