PDA

View Full Version : Delta 11-23

Katz
11-26-2005, 08:02 PM
Fished the East Delta with Kevin Doran. My father-in-law and I boated 20+ striper to 5lbs. Fish were very spread throughout the day. Hooked one to two everywhere we stopped. Also got 10+ LMB. Father got one over 3lbs. All fish were on chartruse and white clousers and in 8-12 feet of water.

Streamer Express 350 with eratic, quick retrieve with dramatic pauses. Most fish hit on the pause.

Fished poppers at dusk and wow was that a blast. Hairstacker, I see why you are so into that. The LMB just exploded on the poppers. Got one just over 2 lbs. No striper on top.

All is all, a great day. Can't wait to get out there again.

Katz

Jay Murakoshi
11-26-2005, 09:23 PM
KD you da man.
If anyone has a chance to book KD, I wouldn't give it a second thought.
I fished with him a month or so ago. He knows his stuff, he knows the water.
I'm planning on a spring bass trip. I'd love a 10lb LMB.

Jay

k.hanley
11-27-2005, 09:29 AM
KD gets it done............... in high style and solid results. He's simply the best on the Delta in my mind. He has great knowledge of the waters. Excellent knowledge on tackle and techniques for bass (LMB and Stripers). I always leave with sore arms, fish pics, a big smile, and day well spent with a fellow bass-addict. I book KD twice a year, every year.
Cheers, Ken 8)

Hairstacker
11-27-2005, 10:31 AM
Katz, sounds like you had a great day, good for you! Yep, bass on top is just a kick, isn't it? The explosion always gets me, even when I might be expecting it. :shock: I am a little surprised, though, that you did so well this late in the year. . . . I had all but given up on topwater bass bugging for the year, as it was pretty slow for me the last couple of times out. I thought it might be the water temperature, since the water surface is now in the 50s. Based on your results, though, it seems like I just need to expand my search. 8)

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-27-2005, 10:43 AM
http://www.kiene.com/gallery/albums/WarmWaterFishing/ororke_002.sized.jpg

Here is a picture taken by Andy Guibord of a Black Bass caught recently from the Delta.

Katz
11-27-2005, 10:47 AM
KD commented on the topwater as well. It was a very warm day and very calm. We fished the poppers right at dusk.

I tried to quiz him on why he thought the poppers would be good and he basically said it was a "zen" thing, he just knew. I'm sure that comes with being out there every day.

I would give more details on our locations, but if he had dropped me in a dingy and told me to row back to the dock, I would still be out there! :)
A GPS would be a must if I fished that on my own.

Katz

Jay Murakoshi
11-27-2005, 10:56 AM
Hey Katz,

When I went out with KD, I tried burning the locations into my brain. Didn't help, but my buddy I fish with pretty much knew what area we fished. But I didn't want to infringe on his area, since they have it pretty much to themselves and it's great for his clientel's catch rate.
The Delta is a big body of water and most people don't like to explore new waters. Those fish move daily and even hourly

Jay

Hairstacker
11-27-2005, 11:19 AM
Katz, hope you didn't interpret my post to suggest I was seeking locations. My feeling is, even though the Delta is a HUGE place, it wouldn't take much to pound certain favorite sections to death, which is why I keep areas I know about pretty close to the vest myself. I love to think that the ONLY flies they're seeing all year are mine, which I believe is actually true for some areas I fish. :shock: Heck, I don't even identify what quarter of the Delta I was in when I post anymore. :lol: Besides, I can't speak for anyone else, but I kind of enjoy figuring out locations on my own -- gives me an extra sense of satisfaction when I score. You could probably spend a lifetime exploring every nook and cranny of the Delta and not learn all of its secrets, especially since, as Jay pointed out, the fishing changes from day to day in every spot. With persistance, though, you'll develop an A-list of favorite spots as well. Very high on my list for next year is to develop such a list for Delta smallmouths. Right now, I have my initial search narrowed down to about a dozen slough sections. . . . 8)

Hairstacker
11-27-2005, 12:10 PM
Katz, by the way, I'm curious, what kind of retrieve were you using for catching those LMBs on top?

Katz
11-27-2005, 09:17 PM
Hairstacker, it never even occured to me that you might be looking for the spots. I have nothing but respect for everyone that posts here and would be happy to share any good spots I find. I was only making the comment because I was amazed at how many different waterways there were out there, and that most of them had fish. The one thing I do remember is there was one place with a big sign on plywood that said "Island for Sale". I looked at my father-in-law and said, "Surprise, we are moving you and Mom out here. Happy birthday!! :lol: ". He didn't throw me overboard, so I guess he knew I was kidding.

As for locations, I am a Dixon resident and will be exploring Cache Sleugh and the Liberty Island area to find some of my own A-list locations, using what I learned from fishing with KD. If I can get it figured out, I will send out an invite to join me.

As for the poppers. We were trying to get striper to come up for the bugs so he had us doing constant 8" strips, quick, but not too quick. I was using a balsa wood popper and he didn't want me to make it "pop" too much. Father-In-Law was using a gurgler (sp). We didn't pause very much at all, just kept it coming away from the rocks, tulies, etc. If I were to guess, I think the LMB might have liked a little more pause??? :?:

Thanks to everyone that posts. I never would have known about KD or a lot of the things I have learned about fishing striper if it was not for all of you.

Katz

Hairstacker
11-27-2005, 10:57 PM
Hey Katz, the feelings mutual, I'd be happy to show you around ANY spot I know about. Can't guarantee you'll do as well as you would with KD, though, ha.

By the way, there are some very intriguing sloughs in the Liberty Island area, including Cache, Prospect and Miner. . . . I plan to explore that area myself this coming year. I'll keep you posted on anything I figure out. :)

Katz
11-27-2005, 11:25 PM
Thanks, I'll do the same!

Katz