PDA

View Full Version : Good fly casting is very important for all.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-24-2005, 11:41 AM
We all need to realize that our personal fly casting skill will be a serious limiting factor to our success in fly fishing.

We were made aware of this during hosted group trips to either the open salt water or steelhead destinations. After 20 years of taking groups of people on salt water trips we found that the biggest limiting factor for success was the individuals casting skills. Today we actually tell people that the casting is serious and if they want we can help get them much improved before the trip.

The biggest legitimate complaint from many fly fishing guides is the fact that a large percentage of their customers don't fly cast well. The better guides then have to waste precious fishing time to bring their client up a level very quickly so they will have some chance of catching something.

In some cases people do have equipment that is holding them back but in most cases it is the fact that people are busy with their job, family and other obligations. It is hard enough to find time to go fishing let alone work on your fly casting.

Today there are lots of opportunities to get some casting help. Most fly shops have fly casting classes and the local fly clubs work on this with their members as well.

We are very lucky here in Sacramento to have Jeff Putnam who has dedicated his life to teaching fly casting and fly fishing locally.

http://www.jpflyfishing.com/images/jefpic.gif

Jeff's web site:

http://www.jpflyfishing.com/

Jay Murakoshi
11-24-2005, 12:12 PM
Bill,

I totally agree with you. Good casting is definitly one thing that you need to be a successful salt water/blue water angler. I have seen many, many, many fly fishermen come down to Baja and really get frustrated on their first day in the boat. Seeing all the skip jack, yellow fin's, roosters and dorado busting and not being able to cast to the raising fish can make it a long day. Especially rooster's, take a long cast just to get them interested.
I have jumped in many a panga's and given on the spot casting lessons.
and for sure, I'm not a Jeff Putnam.

Most guys who venture to baja or any blue water destination don't really have the knowledge of heavy rod/heavy line casting. I would have to say that 90% of our clients are "trout" fishermen (not downgrading the trout guys) or no experience in fly fishing at all. You have no idea what a shock it is when you have a guy on the beach, ready to jump into the boat and he asks you what to do. Then he proceeds to tell you that he has never fished - period, much less fly fish. It's hard to stand there and explain to them to forget most of the mechanics they learned about delicate presentation, light tippets and fighting a fish. But there is light at the end of the tunnel. Usually after the first day, they have caught on to changing up the speed of the rod and to let the rod do the work.

To sum it all up, you will enjoy your trip alot more if you have the casting mechanics down.

Jay

jmircetich
11-24-2005, 01:10 PM
Bill,
You are so right, I have taken many classes from Jeff, it was him who introduced me to fly fishing and without his patience, knowledge and fortitude I would not be near as adept as I am now.
Casting can be a very frustrating expierience and with a proficient instructor the learning curve is very long.
I must say, Jeff has helped me and many others, he has my total recommendation.
Thanks Jeff!!!!!!!

leo licastro
11-24-2005, 03:59 PM
I second that, Jeff has guided me into the world of spey casting. And with out his help i definetly would not be at the level i am.
Happy thanksgiving to all

Adam Grace
11-25-2005, 08:01 AM
I owe a lot to Jeff Putnam myself.

Through working with Jeff I have learned how to cast more efficiently and controlled. I receieved a compliment the other day about my casting from Ryan Miller, a fellow employee of Fish First, he told Jason Lozano (the SCOTT representative) that I casted "like" Jeff Putnam. Ryan went on further explaining the compact stroke and tight loops that Jeff is well known for.

I can also explain the casting storke better to other fly fishers because of my conversations with Jeff while working with him at Kiene's. Jeff is always looking for a better or different way in which to describe the casting stroke, and lucky for me, I was one of his sounding boards.

In flyfishing catsing is very important! Proper management and control over your fly line will improve your experience by eliminating frustrations like tailing loop tangles and hooks in your ear! :-)

Jeff is a wonderful instructor. Hire Jeff for an hour or two if you need help with your casting. You'll be glad you did!

Adam Grace
11-25-2005, 08:23 AM
Here's a Picture of Jeff casting outside Kiene's.

Jeff's loop is tight and off to the side, not tailing!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/Fly%20Shop/jeffshopcsast5.jpg

That's what I call a TIGHT LOOP!

OregonSalmon
11-25-2005, 10:15 AM
That loop is tighter than Saddam's future necktie!!!

Rick J
11-25-2005, 11:45 AM
Practice is really important for those light line folks heading to the salt for the first time or even steelheading. There is a big difference in casting an 8 or 9 wt vs a 4 wt rod and holding 50 or 60 feet of line in the air.

If they are going to spend several thousand $'s on a first class trip, it sure makes sense to try and get the most out of that trip and that will mean improving their casting skill. The fastest way to accomplish this is through instruction with someone like Jeff. You have to start right so you don't develop bad habits. Casting distance does not mean casting harder, just more efficiently.

Gregg Machel
11-25-2005, 03:03 PM
I'm not sure he needs it at this point, given all the positive feedback so far, but I'll add my praise for Jeff too. Both my son and I have worked with Jeff on our traditional and spey casting. This has made our fishing trips so much more enjoyable. Had I not had these sessions, I'd probably have my really bad habits learned really well. I'd say even if you have been fishing for a while, get a one on one tune-up session with Jeff. There is no doubt in my mind that he will be able to point out a few things that will improve your cast.

mike N
11-25-2005, 05:40 PM
Bill,

Great advise as usual. :)

Mike

Rob
11-25-2005, 09:38 PM
Hello from Utah !!!

So very true Bill

As a f ,fishing father ,I taught my boys as much as I could. My boys both had lessons with Jeff and he was able to fine tune their casts .
My boys can now (thanks to Jeff )out cast and fish most people and me. :wink: :) :wink: :) Every penny spent on a lessons with Jeff was worth more that any other money we have put out for f.fishing .

Thank You so much Jeff!!!!!!!
Rob ,Jason and
Cody.