PDA

View Full Version : Full moon doubts

Bob Scheidt
11-24-2005, 09:21 AM
How much do you guys think a full moon affects striper fishing? I always thought the full moon is more important in lakes than rivers. I am beginning to let this full moon phase get to me. I think I shoud go back to just fish when you can and don't worry about where the moon is. What's your opinion. Do you let a full moon affect your fishing expectations?

Thanks,
Bob

JJohnson
11-24-2005, 09:49 AM
I've always found that the moon, much like the weather, IS what it is... that's not to say I've found the bite to deteriorate on the full moon, and perhaps a day or two afterwards, but it certainly shouldn't stop one from trying. For what it's worth, don't worry about it too much. Good hunting!

David Lee
11-24-2005, 09:54 AM
Good morning , Bob , and happy Thanksgiving !!

I personally don't put much stock in moon phase , favorable entrails , any of that stuff . Finding Stripe is half the battle , then , finding one that will play .

If we wait for absolute ideal conditions , we wouldn't get much time in , you know ? Find a happy , hungry Stripe ..... and put the fly in front of it .

Just my opinion .....

David

PS - my 'bad-Juju' things are .... an EAST WIND - I don't like it , I don't think Stripe likes it much , and a rising barometer . The full moon might affect clearwater fish , but they still have to eat sometime .

Bob Scheidt
11-24-2005, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the replies guys, happy Thanksgiving to you too!!
I will go with don't put too much faith in the bad juju of a full moon and just cast the fly.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-24-2005, 12:04 PM
If you have a day open up in your schedule I would not let a full moon stop you.............just go.

If you are planning a tropical flats trip for Tarpon I would not go on a full moon.

If you are planning a trip for lake fishing I would not go on a full moon either.

Bonefish on the other hand seem to spawn at Christmas Island the 3 days after a full moon where they get into big schools and are easier to catch.

The full moon this month was on the 16th. December it is on the 15th.

For stripers in the Delta you get bigger tides generally during the full moon and the dark of the moon. This could override the full moons negative effects in this case?

Jay Murakoshi
11-24-2005, 02:21 PM
Bob,

If I remember right, we just went through a full moon early last week.
Well, here's my observations:
Fished both SL and the Forebay on the height of the full moon, at 4am, it was as bright as midevening in Alaska, from pictures I've seen. Never been there, so I'm just making an observation. I fished both bodies of water for 3 days with very slow results. Now, the other thing is it must bring on some bad luck. Because as I was motoring around (trolling motor) I lost my Fishing Buddy II off the back of my pram. It was a strange feeling to turn around and notice something missing and then realizing it was GOOD OLE BUDDY. I don't know how the bracket and the finder went into the water.
Now, I have been over there on the last quarter and starting to go into a new moon. The fishing has picked up and even without my fish finder, I have been getting the grab.

Gotta get back with anoter Buddy II. I mainly use it for the depth of the water and not for marking fish.

Sooooooo, I really think the full moon slows the fishing down - my opinion

Jay

Darian
11-24-2005, 09:52 PM
I've found the only thing that counteracts the affects of a full moon is to twirl a dead rat on a string over a hollow stump filled with rain water during the midnight hour..... :( :( (Wheeew, those rats stink!!!!) :shock:

A little Irish medicine served neat helps, too.... 8) 8)

Darian
11-24-2005, 10:00 PM
I guess I ought to treat this subject with more dignity.... :) I believe that all life on this planet is affected by sun and moon phases, as well as things like magnetic waves, etc. Having said that, I couldn't tell you how much affect they have on fishing at any given point in time. :? :?

I do tend to think there're some weather and lunar conditions that are negatives but I don't let that stop me from fishing when I get the chance. Sometimes it's like the saying at the end of Tracy's notes, "When all fails, put down the rod and swim with the dog." 8) 8)

David Lee
11-24-2005, 11:38 PM
I've found the only thing that counteracts the affects of a full moon is to twirl a dead rat on a string over a hollow stump filled with rain water during the midnight hour..... :( :( (Wheeew, those rats stink!!!!) :shock:

A little Irish medicine served neat helps, too.... 8) 8)

Doubtless , Darian .... you are the silliest bugger on the face of this fine rock .

What you've written is likely the funniest thing I've ever read - not because it's silly .... but because I CAN SEE SOMEONE DOIN' IT !!!!!!!

I thank you for this disvergence from holiday overeating .

Was disvergance a real word ?!? Perhaps I meant divergance . Are they different ?

Please disregard this post .

:P :P David :P :P

Hairstacker
11-24-2005, 11:44 PM
In Douglas "The Bass Professor" Hannon's book, "Big Bass Magic," he details the results of a study of big largemouth bass he had caught during various moon phases. He charted the results of 307 big (5-16 pound) bass against the lunar phases and found that he typically experienced the best fishing (catch rates per hour) for big bass during the dark moon, except during the summer and winter when his catch rates were highest during the full moon. Interestingly, he experienced his lowest catch rates during the spring and fall around the full moon.

He also reviewed the IGFA listings of world records and found that the 3 days on each side of the full and dark moons plus the day of each 1/2-moon produced 73% of the world records from 1970 through 1979. The world records for striper hybrid, redeye bass, rock bass, spotted bass, redear sunfish, warmouth, red breast sunfish, sauger, and tiger trout were ALL caught within a 3-day period on either side of the full moon. As of that point in time, the world records for striped bass and smallmouth bass had also been set during this 3-day timeframe around the full moon. In fact, looking at the graph, it appears the world record striped bass was caught on the very day of the full moon.

On the other hand, I tracked my largemouth bass catch rates over a season against lunar phases and found absolutely no correlation either way. :oops: I concluded it's best to go fishing whenever you can and haven't paid attention to lunar phases since.

By the way, Hannon also found that most of his really big bass (over 10 lbs) were caught between the hours of 10:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. This coming from a guy who had literally caught 100's (over 400?) of such fish by the time of the book's publication.

David Lee
11-24-2005, 11:57 PM
There ya go .

For years , I've heard that three days before and three days after the full moon is ( are ??) the best period to chase the big 'uns .....

But ... I digress , or diverge , or disverge , or ....... awwww , crap - you know what I mean .

Mr. Hannon knows his Bass - better Men than I can argue w/ him ....

The bottom line is ..... Bob - you tye better than 98% of the rest of us , just put one of those beautiful bugs in front of whatever fish you choose to - chances are , they will eat .

Simple things prevail .

David :D

Bob Scheidt
11-25-2005, 09:25 AM
Thanks for all the great info. You guys are great!! Wished I lived in Sacramento.
Bob

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-25-2005, 11:49 AM
I have two full moon stories that have impacted my thinking.

1) We took a group of customers Tarpon fishing to the El Pescador Lodge on Ambergris Cay on the coast of Belize over 20 years ago. When planning the trip with the owners they told me they had 17 years of data from their customers and guides about the daily fishing. They told us not to bring a group of fly fishers to their lodge during a full moon. They said that conventional angers could be OK because they used live bait for them in the channels.

2) Joe Shirshac and I went to Pyramid Lake in Nevada about 20 years ago. While we were getting our permit from the Native Americans I saw an old local who had lots of wrinkles and grey hair. I walked over to him and asked, "How is the fishing?" He said, "Big moon, no fish." He was right.

Sierra Anglers
11-25-2005, 12:41 PM
When my dad started taking me fishing to Dunsmuir back in the late 60's, we would stay at Ted Fay's Motel. Whenever dad would call to reserve a room, Ted advised us several times to avoid the full moon period. We considered it good advice from someone who was fishing nearly everyday!

Darian
11-25-2005, 01:46 PM
Ya know,.... I've noticed that when the moon is full, the hair on my hands and elsewhere tends to grow and thicken.... :? :? Also, my teeth (canines) grow and I get an uncontrollable urge to howl out loud.... :shock: :shock: It's tough to fish when you're out there that far. :roll: :roll:

KD
11-25-2005, 01:53 PM
The bite seems to pick up heading into a full moon on the Delta. Then it slows down the days following. This is likely due to increase in current, fish are feeding heavily then their feeding slows down(satiated?). This full moon cycle also affects water clarity. Minus tides will muddy the water a bit and will clear on the flood. I've had strong bites at all tide phases during full moon periods. I prefer smaller tides for Largemouth in most areas.

So,.. just go fish....