PDA

View Full Version : Delta 11/20

Katz
11-20-2005, 08:48 PM
Talked the wife and kids into a quick afternoon trip on the delta. Put the "ski boat" in a Rio Vista and boated up to Steamboat Sleugh. Spent about 1-1/2 hrs throwing chartruse and white clousers on a Streamer Express 350.

Managed 6 striper, the largest just over 16 inches. All small fish, but the take is still awesome. My kids enjoyed the action and are asking to go again, and my wife read several chapters of her favorite book. :wink:

Great day! No wind and wearing shorts on the Delta in the middle of November 8)

Katz

BSD
11-21-2005, 03:53 PM
Thanks for the report.

I went out yesterday for the first time in the Delta. I caught several stripers but the biggest was about 10 inches. :cry:

I launched in Franks Tract and thought I would be fishing there because I heard it was good, but it looked like one massive weed bed so I didn't throw my line there. I went out to the edges and fished the rock walls a bit. I also went to Santa Clara shoal.

A couple questions for those that have experience in the Delta: What type of structure do stripers like and what depth will I find them? Do they like those weed beds or was I correct in targeting the rock walls? I mostly fished in water 10 - 20 feet deep. Should I be going deeper? Anything else that might help a Delta/Striper newbie would be appreciated.

Despite only getting dinks I had fun taking my boat out and like Katz said, the weather was just perfect.

Brian

Richard
11-21-2005, 06:40 PM
My experience, limited though it is, is that the western side of Frank's is too weedy to fish right now. The eastern side is much better. I was at the rock wall on the eastern edge not too long ago and my fish finder saw LOTS of fish at between 6 and 10 ft. Unfortunately my rod didn't do quite as well :( Still I plan to go back and give it another try. Hope springs eternal. :D

Katz
11-22-2005, 10:21 AM
I have had most of my luck in water 8-10 ft deep where there is nearby deeper water (to escape to??). Structure seems to help, but a current seam or something to do with "water" differences seems to be more important.

I don't think they are all that leader shy in the Delta. I have been using 15lb maxima and it doesn't seem to matter.

My father-in-law and I are going out tomorrow and I will give a detailed report of any success or a somewhat detailed report if it is a failure. :lol:
Katz

mikenewman
11-23-2005, 02:34 PM
BSD

You may be interested in this:

"Dan Blanton will present his popular Delta Stripers on the Fly slide show at the Sugar Barge RV park Club House on Saturday, December 17th. Dan Will also be tying his "Delta Favorites" and will provide tips on tackle and rigging - the nuts and bolts needed to successfully fly fish for Delta Stripers. A similar event will be held again in March, date to be announced." (http://www.danblanton.com/Sugarbarge_Promo.html)

I was going to give you a few tips but I believe Mr B has a bit more experience than me :lol:
Anybody else thinking of attending?

Mike

BSD
11-23-2005, 11:23 PM
Mike,

Thanks for the info. That is definitely something I will have to check out.
I also just got a trolling motor which should let me cover the water more effectively! Can't wait to get out there again.

Brian