PDA

View Full Version : Slow sinking line

Mario
11-19-2005, 11:25 PM
Hey everyone,
I'm looking for a very slow sinking line...what do you guys reccomend?

Darian
11-19-2005, 11:34 PM
Hey Mario,.... If sink rate is your only concern, your choice would depend largely on what the intended use is.... For example, cold or warm water; lakes, rivers, estuaries, salt water, etc. Once that's determined, pick a brand in the correct size and have at it.... 8) 8)

Mario
11-20-2005, 12:19 AM
I do mostly cool water river and lake fishing. I have a 9ft 5 weight TFO rod and would just like a nice slow sinking line, since I usually use a floating line, but want to expand my options. Are brands like RIO, CORTLAND, and SA all comprable? Thanks for the advice.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-20-2005, 12:24 AM
Our most popular slow sinking line is a Cortland 444 Clear Camo.

It is actually our most popular lake line.

David Lee
11-20-2005, 12:33 AM
The 444 clear camo sinks pretty quick , but then again I like a fast I line .

RIO makes a 'Lazysink' that's pokey , from what I've heard . The Cortland 333 is a nice line , I have the 7 wt. and like it a lot .

Getting down to the 10-foot range , the 444 C.C. is your best bet - it shoots like mad , as well . Make sure to up-line one full size , unless you are fishing a 'soft' rod (Scott 'G' series) .

A good end for that line is a #30 braided mono loop , whip it on w/ thread , then , aquaseal it - it WILL NOT pull loose . Double-catch loops only , if you please !

HTH ,

David

Darian
11-20-2005, 11:01 AM
Hey Mario,.... Just a question here.... Since you're already fishing a floater, why not try a sink tip line :?: :?: Sink tips offer some features such as differing lengths/sink rates of tips. That's a lot of verstility. 8) 8)

There's little difference (in terms of ffishing) between a floater and a very slow sinking line. :?

bubzilla
11-21-2005, 05:48 PM
Are brands like RIO, CORTLAND, and SA all comprable?

That's a much more complicated question than I'd guess most would imagine. All intermediate lines are not created equal when it comes to sink rate, as some sink much faster than others. And I should say I assume you're thinking in terms of using one for stillwater and/or very slow moving water situations?

Just for example, consider the following with regard to clear intermediates (and yes, clear does make a difference in many situations). On the faster side is the S.A. Mastery series "Stillwater" line (1.25-2.0 i.p.s.)--which in many ways is more like a clear Type II than anything else. Comparable to that line, in terms of sink rate, are the Rio AquaLux (1.5-2.0 i.p.s.), Airflo Delta fast intermediate (1.5-2.0 i.p.s.), and Cortland 444SL clear intermediate (1.5-2.0 i.p.s.)--which Cortland itself actually refers to as a Type II but that most anglers nonetheless call an "intermediate"--to name just a few.

On the slower side are lines like the Cortland Camo (1.25-1.5 i.p.s.) and Airflo Delta slow sink intermediate (.8 i.p.s.).

For fly fishing stillwaters, an intermediate line is far-and-away the most important line to have. Opinions abound as to which brand or design to get if you're only going to get one. Denny Rickards, for example, advocates getting the Cortland Camo, but recommends having both an intermediate as well as Type II line (he advocates the Cortland 444SL as the Type II now). Personally, I'd have the S.A. Stillwater if I was only going to have one line, but I don't have just one, either. Remember that in a stillwater situation you can always count down a slower sinking line to fish greater depths, but you can't very easily make a faster sinking line sink more slowly. As a result, I carry a faster sinking clear line and a slower sinking clear line--the result being I essentially have a clear Type II and a clear intermediate. Both get used for different situaitons where the other would not perform particularly well, but where each excels.

There's little difference (in terms of ffishing) between a floater and a very slow sinking line.

If you're talking about stillwater fishing, or even a lot of spring creek fishing, I could not disagree more. On stillwaters floating lines have pretty limited utility--in fact, they're mostly worthless. They're good for long leader chironomid fishing, bobber fishing nymphs, and dry fly fishing for those that have the patience of Jobe. That's about it. Casting and retrieving flies with them is not very effective, as a general rule, because of the water disturbance they make. I stillwater fish probably 50 or more days a year, and I bet I don't have a floater on more than one in ten hours on the water--if that. You need one for those times when you need one, but the difference in terms of fishing success between a floater and a good slow sinking line on stillwaters is huge.

Also, slow sinking lines are deadly for presenting flies on spring creeks. Using them to present flies on some waters, i.e., Williamson, Wood, IS the dominant method, and for good reason. Generally clear lines are preferred, and usually the faster sinking variety of them, e.g., S.A. Stillwater, but sometimes the very slow sinking as well.

Adam Grace
11-21-2005, 10:21 PM
I fish two clear intermediate lines.

Cortland's Clear Camo

Airflo Fast intermediate.

I really like both lines.

They are my GO TO lines for lakes.

Gregg
11-21-2005, 10:49 PM
same as Adam...Cortland clear camo. Looks fancy-sweet too...