PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving Dinner

Gregg Machel
11-19-2005, 12:49 AM
What kinds of dishes do you plan on having for Thanksgiving dinner? Any special recipes to share?

For me, I'm planning a traditional Thanksgiving dinner with a big roasted turkey, mashed potatoes & gravy, stuffing, probably some type of bean casserole (looking for a new idea here), cranberries (not because I like them, but it's a requirement), fresh baked bread, and of course a variety of pies with whipped cream on top. I've got two sets of in-laws coming up to share our dinner, should be fun!

I'm sure someone has a fishing story that has to do with Thanksgiving dinner too. :)

Gregg
11-19-2005, 02:14 AM
This will be me and my wife's first Thanksgiving as a married couple, and in our 1st house, so you can guess how excited she is... We found a recipe for turkey and tried it out a couple of weeks ago (a "practice run" if you will). It takes 4 days, but it turned out so good. We deep fried a turkey last year and it was great as well. For those who plan to do the deep fry thing, Albertsons has the peanut oil in bulk this year. Last year we were scrambling to find peanut oil, so definitley plan early! The small "designer" glass bottles of peanut oil are expensive...

Tony Buzolich
11-19-2005, 07:22 AM
In additon to all the normal traditional trimmings, my daughter just requested pumpkin gnocchi.

They're made just like regular gnocchi with riced mashed potatoes and flour but pumpkin is added with a little nutmeg. For a sauce, a simple melted butter with finely chopped pecans and a splash of maple syrup all carmelized together and poured over the hot gnocchi. :nod:

Can you tell I love to cook?
TONY

David Lee
11-19-2005, 10:18 AM
What kinds of dishes do you plan on having for Thanksgiving dinner? Any special recipes to share?

For me, I'm planning a traditional Thanksgiving dinner with a big roasted turkey, mashed potatoes & gravy, stuffing, probably some type of bean casserole (looking for a new idea here), cranberries (not because I like them, but it's a requirement), fresh baked bread, and of course a variety of pies with whipped cream on top. I've got two sets of in-laws coming up to share our dinner, should be fun!

I'm sure someone has a fishing story that has to do with Thanksgiving dinner too. :)

Gregg -

Simple subsitutions can do wonders .... instead of basic mashed potatos , try boiled red potatos w/ the skins left on - boil w/ kosher salt , olive oil , and about 10 crushed cloves of garlic . Drain when tender , and mix in butter , cream (or chicken stock) , and fresh chopped italian parsley .

The dreaded green bean casserole can be replaced w/ fresh steamed green beans - just a hint of salt on 'em , w/ fresh ground black pepper .

I don't do the jellied cranberry stuff - try fresh mangos , thin sliced serrano chillies , and a bit of fresh pineapple - mix w/ honey , rice vineger , and fresh chopped basil .

David (don't call me martha ) Lee :twisted:

Darian
11-19-2005, 04:45 PM
I can't believe anyone still uses canned, jellied cranberry sauce any longer.... There're so many good alternatives. 8) How about a relish of orange juice, rasberry (or other berry) vinegar, sugar, honey, red onion minced garlic, yellow or green bell pepper, minced ginger, cloves, fresh cranberries; all chopped/processed in a blender or food processor and cooked to pop the berries.... MMM, MMM,.... 8) 8) another option is a good chutney. 8)

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-19-2005, 05:34 PM
I love Thanks Giving for the leftovers too.

I really love those turkey sandwiches the next few days with cranberry sauce.

OregonSalmon
11-19-2005, 06:04 PM
Everything revolves one thing at Thanksgiving, the sun of the dishes: the gravy. The best gravy ever is shitake with white wine gravy. My buddy used to make it. The stuff was worth throwing punches over, but that is only a Thanksgiving tradition at my families house.
The other thing: brine the turkey. Only way to cook a bird. Keeps the bird nice an moist. For both recipes there are plenty of recipes on the net.
We have one traditional dish here on Thanksgiving on the North Oregon coast: go feeshin'. It is the unofficial start of steelhead season. While the poor folk are feasting we are after the sultans of swim. Feeshin' or family?

David Lee
11-19-2005, 07:54 PM
Gallen , I agree 100% about brined turkey !!

My wife Candida (who does ALL the holliday cooking) brined the T-bird last year ..... best turkey I ever tasted !

looks like no company for us this year , so I can make chicken enchilladas and chilli rellianos :twisted:

David

Gregg Machel
11-19-2005, 11:16 PM
You all peaked my interest about Brining a turkey. Here is an article for Brined Whole Turkey from chef and author Emeril Lagasse that explains it all: http://www.wchstv.com/gmarecipes/brinedwholeturkey.shtml

Darian
11-19-2005, 11:28 PM
Hey Galen,.... Have you ever tried Morel Cream Sauce :?: :?: Chopped Morels, heavy cream, onions, light garlic flavoring; sauteed and served over pork roast (for those who don't eat turkey on Thanksgiving) :?: :?:

For a veggie dish, brussels sprouts/chestnuts in light gravy.... MMmmm 8)

Gotta getta grip on myself.... :? I can stop eatin' anytime I wanna... :roll: :roll: REALLY :shock: !!! Somebody stop me.... :shock: :shock: :shock: