PDA

View Full Version : Smith River

Heath Hughes
11-18-2005, 08:41 PM
Went to the Smith on Tues. and Wed. The salmon were hitting in the mornings when you could find fish, caught one small one about 5 lbs. the Steelhead are starting to show up here and there, managed to hook four, and land two. Can't wait till Jan. when the big runs start!

jerseyboy
11-19-2005, 07:48 AM
What flies were working on the Smith?

jerseyboy

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-19-2005, 09:43 AM
Thanks for the report Heath.

Where you wading or in a boat?

Heath Hughes
11-19-2005, 01:14 PM
As far as flies I was using a Green butt skunk and an Averysbugger, a version of the woolybugger. I was fishing from shore as I always do. I can cover water more thouroughly than in a drift boat.

Gregg
11-19-2005, 03:08 PM
flyfisherman.com has a really good Smith river report. Click on the "southwest" section, and it should pop up. Pretty detailed, with some nice pics.

Jasonh
11-21-2005, 02:36 PM
The Smith is on my list of places to fish during January this year. I hear it is good spey water and am looking forward to giving it a try this winter.

Jason Hartwick

jfkowalski
11-21-2005, 09:20 PM
Jason, if you find a lot of spey water, please let me know where it is. The lower 6 or 8 miles is suitable, but I found the access difficult except in the park. I have not fished the south fork, but my recollection is that the main branch is largely pocket water which requires fast sinking lines in deep holes.

Darian
11-22-2005, 01:10 AM
I have to agree.... 8) The river below the forks is a series of very deep pools with a few deep runs. Given the number of bankies and drift boats up there, it wouldn't seem that there's much of an opportunity to Spey Cast..... :? :? :?

Jasonh
11-22-2005, 06:57 AM
I have heard from a few others that there is some good spey water on the south fork. While the access is difficult and limited i am sure i can find something worth giving a try. Just looking forward to seeing that amazing river, fish or no fish!

Jason Hartwick

jfkowalski
11-22-2005, 07:27 AM
I am serious in that I would appreciate a report. Just post it here. For the past few years the Smith has had the biggest fish in CA. However I have been going south of Eureka becasue of the number of streams available.

Rick J
11-22-2005, 07:58 AM
The Smith is a tough river to fly fish - not bad in the lower river but as has been said heavy deep runs and pocket water in the upper reaches. I know of some folks that site fish and indicator the steelies effectively but swinging can be tough - not to say you shouldn't do it as it is one of the most beautiful rivers around - it can sure be COLD in Jnauary!!!!!!!!!