PDA

View Full Version : Trout on top in Lake Berryessa

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-15-2005, 11:15 PM
Jim Christensen was out on Lake Berryessa this past weekend and found trout busting Threadfin Shad on top.

This happens on many reservoirs in the Fall.

Merel Collins is very famous for this too.

Folsom, Oroville, Shasta and many other reservoirs have a Threadfin Shad population that gets abused by many different gamefish.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat/fish/images/inland_species/mtfinshad.jpg

NWAngler08
11-28-2005, 11:17 PM
hey i've been checkin out the site for a while now and just became a member.

what types of flys are effective on berryessa for trout and what size tippet.
thanks

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-29-2005, 09:33 AM
Most fly shops carry small approximately one inch long Threadfin Shad imitations.

I would use a good weight forward floating line.

9'-9.5' #5 or 6 line rod.

9' 2x leader with a couple of feet of 3x Grand Max Segar FC tippet.

You need a calm day to be able to see the fish busting or even have them on top.

It is not always a lot of catching but it is so exciting to see.

Some use a float tube or pontoon boat but a outboard powered skiff is better for getting around. A canoe or kayak would be good too.

Have some 6-8 power binoculars.

Hairstacker
11-29-2005, 10:30 AM
Clayton, welcome aboard! Right now with those shad busting the surface, I would think a rapidly retrieved Crease Fly would be perfect. . . .

Many years ago, in the spring (March/April) before it warmed up, I had good luck there fishing #16 Light Cahill dry flies on the surface. I used a 5X tippet and did my best to lay out gentle, delicate casts, which made for good casting practice as well. That was over 20 years ago but I don't see why it wouldn't still work come spring time.

NWAngler08
11-30-2005, 10:35 PM
Thanks, Bill do you have any of those flys at your shop? I might stop by next time im in sacramento.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-01-2005, 09:24 AM
Yes

I would get the smallest size in Grey.

They work for Stripers in New Hogan with Threadfin on top in the summer.

Good idea.