PDA

View Full Version : What has 100 legs and bites like hell?

mems
11-13-2005, 01:31 AM
Aloha, I went down to Honolii stream this evening to see who was around. I crossed the stream and started catching some rock fish. I saw a school of nenue eat a guava as it floated by. I kept trying to miss a small green sea turtle that was interested in the same current seam as I was fishing. It started to get dark, so I crossed the river and started to fish a drop off along the sand bar that has formed at the mouth of the river. We have been getting alot of rain lately and the river was a muddy brown. I let my fly sink to the bottom and then felt some weight. I set the hook and got a sweet little moi, pacific threadfin. I landed him on the beach and then carried him to the little cooler I take with me to keep beer cold. As I was walking back to try for another I felt this crawling on my leg like a moving stick or something. I reached down to knock it off and this centepede goes and bites my thumb. Yeoww! it hurt like hell. It felt like I had missed a nail with a hammer and popped my thumb nail off in wood shop. It swelled up pretty big, and I think I can now hitch hike across country no problem. Anyway the moi was pretty good pan fried and I enjoyed using my new TicrX and TFO reel, very nice equipment. Hope you all had a good weekend and watch out for those creepy things in the night. Mems.

Darian
11-13-2005, 01:18 PM
Hey Mems,.... Are Centipedes good bait over there :?: :?: Maybe you need a Centipede fly :?: :?:

I didn't know Centipedes could bite. I was under the impression that the ends of their legs (feet :?: ) were the toxic parts.... :? :?

jbird
11-13-2005, 11:03 PM
OUCH!

centipedes indeed have a venomous bite. They have pinchers much like some of the nastier ants you'll see. I even steer clear of the little ones we have here on the mainland, they bite too.

J

mems
11-14-2005, 12:47 AM
Aloha Darian, centepedes would be pretty nasty flies. I think the fish would run from them. Now a cockroach or termite fly that would work over here. I don't think our fish have much of an insect diet. Mantis shrimp would work. I have one frozen in my fridge that is at least 8 inches. If you could get a fly that big it would be great. My thumb looks much better today. Mems.