PDA

View Full Version : Middle Rogue Steelhead - Saturday AM

Langenbeck
11-12-2005, 10:52 AM
Rowed up behind the house & caught & released this very thick 25" wild steelhead in full spawning colors. Took my top fly-an Otis bug. Total trip time one hour-gas bill zero :D
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/gordonl/25Steelhead12Nov05.jpg

Wingman
11-12-2005, 12:19 PM
Gordon,

That is a beautiful fish. I really enjoy seeing your posts with the latest catch. Keep them coming.

11-12-2005, 04:52 PM
An Otis bug?
I am still trying to catch a fish on your Ice Nymph.Now you have to show us an Otis bug.PLEASE.
Thanks
Sturm

Langenbeck
11-12-2005, 07:34 PM
Think it is a local Southern Oregon creation that basically has an orange bead head, a peacock body and black rubber legs.

jbird
11-12-2005, 09:28 PM
An otis bug is the exact same thing as an ugly bug. Originated for the klamath system many years ago. They are popular on the rogue mainly for weight. Tweak a fly just a little and tag it with your own trademark name, thats the story on the Otis bug. Good ole Otis Swisher is to thank for the name of the local variation. It can be tied in dozens of size/color variations and is a deadly nymph on the rogue all year long.

J

Chris
11-12-2005, 11:21 PM
An Otis bug?
I am still trying to catch a fish on your Ice Nymph.Now you have to show us an Otis bug.PLEASE.
Thanks
Sturm

Not to stir things up Sturm, but I think presentation generally matters far more than the fly pattern. And knowing where exactly the fish hold matters far above everything else. I'm willing to bet next year's wages that those fish just as likely would have taken a dead drifted prince or a Kaufman's stonefly. Or even a swung fly, depending on the topology of that run.

SF fly fisher
01-14-2007, 01:56 PM
This is a fly that Spirit River, Inc. wholesales see;

http://www.spiritriverinc.com/xcart/customer/product.php?productid=17230&cat=399&page=2

javascript:emoticon(':P')

sculpin
01-14-2007, 06:04 PM
This is a fly that Spirit River, Inc. wholesales see;

http://www.spiritriverinc.com/xcart/customer/product.php?productid=17230&cat=399&page=2

javascript:emoticon(':P')

Yep . That's pretty much the fly. I like it in #4 4x long loaded with .035 lead and a 1/4 "hot orange or a copper bead (orange is best this season so far) . Sometimes a soft hackle collar and flash back help .

Mark

http://www.rogueflyfishers.org/GoodFlies.htm

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-14-2007, 08:16 PM
We have it in black w/orange bead at the shop.

slim
01-16-2007, 01:27 PM
Nice fish as usual, Gordo!
Do you folks fish the otis bug on the swing, or nymph it??
thanks
slim

Langenbeck
01-16-2007, 01:46 PM
Slim: I nymph the Otis Bug. Fishing on hold here in Grants Pass with the last five nights of 19, 17, 19, 19 & 21. Currently 28 degrees at 1 PM and snowing heavily with about 4 inches on the ground. Rogue is in excellent shape at 3,800 cfs, a nice deep green color but 37 degree water temperature. We only get 1-2 snows a year here on the floor of the Rogue Valley.

SF fly fisher
01-16-2007, 01:57 PM
Answer to Slim:

I've done best with it on the swing using a type 6 shooting head and
keeping the line tight (no slack what-so-ever).

It may work as the point fly on a dropper or as the main fly with
an indicator.

The main thing in steelhead fishing is presentation and getting the fly
right in front of the fish.

slim
01-16-2007, 06:56 PM
Thanks Gordon and SF
Sounds like that bug just plain fishes! Swung or nymphed-I need to get a few.
slim

jbird
01-16-2007, 09:08 PM
The otis bug is not designed for swinging. It is tied heavily with lots of lead and is to be fished deep. It is an excellent tool for getting deep with a small nymph or globug on point. You'll know youre fishing it deep enough if the paint keeps chipping off the orange beadhead from tumbling across the rocks. You can let it swing at the end of the drift and occasionally get grabbed if the fish are frisky, but I wouldnt set up a sink tip line and a swinging system with this fly, there are too many other swing style flies that will out fish it. It isnt designed to keel in the water and can spin your leader into a mess. Its great for highsticking or indicator fishing. Very productive fly. Thanks Otis Swisher :)

Jay