PDA

View Full Version : The falling sky

OregonSalmon
11-11-2005, 10:13 AM
The north coast of Oregon is once again a magnet for the wet stuff which is good for the trees and the sexually active fish. Thanksgiving is just around the corner which means one thing in these parts and I don't mean a family fight around the dinner table; here it means STEEEEELLLLHHHEEEAD BABY!!! The lil' hatchery runts usually show up around the day of thanks and it looks like they will have plenty of water to splash around. "Turkey and your mother...the hell with you woman...I'm a goin' feeshin!!!!!!
Always a good time to head north, especially if you "live" in the state to the south (I can't pronounce the name anymore...Arnold has me confused) but the best time for the silver beasts is February and March. Those are the months for the wild bunch crunch, so pick up a rod and pack a lunch. The big fellas are nice enough to flee the sea, swim up our rivers for a visit and some sex, and what do we do? Torment them!!! We are terrible hosts and should be housed in Gitmo!!!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-11-2005, 10:30 AM
Heh Gellerenski,

How many CA fly fishers can you sleep and feed?

Any "Sea-run Cutts" around that part of OR?

David Lee
11-11-2005, 01:47 PM
:shock: 8) :wink: :evil: :idea:

JGODING , PM , Adam .... you fellas read that ??

ROADTRIP !!! What sayeth thee suckers ? I'm good for both months , just let me know when you boys have a break and can sneak away for a long weekend -

:twisted: David :twisted:

Eyecatch Tinytrout
11-11-2005, 06:07 PM
Always a good time to head north, especially if you "live" in the state to the south (I can't pronounce the name anymore...Arnold has me confused)

It's easy, OS:

CAULEE-FON-EE-YAH

CAULEEFO-NEEYAH

CAULIFONEEYAH

See, it just takes a little practice!

OregonSalmon
11-12-2005, 11:30 AM
I can feed, house, guide, out tie, out fight, then out drink all you boys from the south!!!! The dog is looking a might old, so I throw him in the pot, tie a few flies out of his hide, then drink enough beer to remember where the stream is. Throw in some whisky around the wood stove and then I'll put up the dukes, or as I have learned, come up behind the person and whack them over the head with a peice of firewood. I might fish fair, but I'm too damn old to fight fair.
I'm still trying to get down that prounciation of what used to be "California". Sounds more like you live in "califlower-na". I must admit north of your border we do have a problem considering the state's name is Oregon, and we are Oregonians, but not Oregunians. Geez, don't let Arnold get up here and confuse this issue also!!! Damn Austrians.

OregonSalmon
11-12-2005, 11:41 AM
Billy,
We do have sea run cuts and the fellas are making a comeback. All catch and release which I know bugs the hell out you...but during February and March, while drifting, McCune has a four weight set up with a March Brown. Ya know, between likely steelie spots. Them boys never saw a fish they didn't want to hook. I believe we have sea runs in the creeks on both sides of the farm also. When is was legal, I ate a few and they were great!!! They are the only stand up for their inland pig trout brothers and sisters for they fight like an Irishman. A sober Irishmen. I figure that ocean living makes them mean, lean, fightin' machines.

Adam Grace
11-12-2005, 07:39 PM
David, if I getta break in tha school work I might be able to swing a trip.

Hopefully!

It's a great idea!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-12-2005, 10:03 PM
You guys should really try to get up there to fish with Geller.

It is some fine country on the Oregon coast.

In the Fall we walked those OR coastal streams some years ago in search of Sea-run Cuts and I was eating 3 to 4 different kinds of wild berries as we fished.

We picked some apples and my friend’s mom baked us some pies.

We also fished the tide water of the Necanicum River in Seaside, OR out of our little prams for Silver Salmon and as I looked over the side of the boat I saw all these large Dungeness crabs crawling on the bottom. My friend said we were allowed 7 apiece so I snagged 14 of them with a large Gold Comet and we had fresh crabs that night.

The Oregon coast is very nice.

OregonSalmon
11-13-2005, 08:56 AM
Snagger!!!!....Dammit Kiene I always knew you broke the fish laws!!! But I did learn that a gold comet has a purpose: crabbing.
When Ziggy first moved up here, there was a picture of him in the paper fishing close to where you were, and the blurb below accused him of snagging the fish he had on. The common theme back then in the parts was that all fished hooked on flies were snagged. Pissed him off to no end!!! Fly fishing hadn't quite emerged on the North Coast of Oregon.

OregonSalmon
11-13-2005, 09:51 AM
David, Adam....and whomever I am forgetting,
You boys are certainly welcome!!! I don't know where I will be housed in Feb./March...possiblity it will have rubber on the walls, but wherever it will be they will let me out for feeshin'. I hope to be here on The Compound which about 45 minutes from the feeshin' spots. The Nehalem is driftable and has a shuttle. Now the coolest spot of all is the Salmonberry, which is walkies. Kinda like a big trout stream and houses according to the feesh and game boys, the largest steelies in Oregon. Artificials only, and the walk in thing (down the railroad tracks)coupled with catch and release, makes it not too appealing to the bait chunkin' hillbillies.
Weather is fickle on the North Oregon coast. I trust the weatherfolk for about two days in the future. Close to eleven hours from Sacto. That is the downside. The upside: green hills and a chance to ruin the day of a large wild steelhead. Ya throw G. Geller and how can ya go wrong?

David Lee
11-13-2005, 12:31 PM
Gallen -

I will work on getting a few dudes together for Oregon Rainfest in late Feb./early March . I'll also Email ya well ahead of time for gear lists , food/booze lists , etc. .

The Salmonberry sounds like a swell place to waste a few days ... :twisted:

By the way , Thank you for the invite , we'll be sure to be on 'good' behavior for the trip . Now , all I have to do is bone-up on Canadain history so we don't get lynched :P

David :D

OregonSalmon
11-13-2005, 11:59 PM
David,
I might be able to house all yous' fellas, but I'm not quite certain, and unless I'm certain, I neither set the hook, make the vote, or have consensual sex. Yes, in two out of the three, eighteen is a vary large rule. But I digress
My buddy Phil owns this old farmhouse not to far from the fishing grounds and I will ask him this week wether he minds some fishing buddies staying for a few nights. I doubt he will since I will threaten to kill his dog. We play hardball in the hills. Then again, I don't think he likes the dog and I do. Sheeeeet.
The Salmonberry is worth the drive. Just the walk and the look. Maw Nature did one hell of a job on that river. That sum-bitch dun' killed me one day when I made the mistake of leaving the train tracks. The only thing, and this is true, that kept me going was I knew there where two beers left in the car.....AND I WASN'T GOING TO LET MY BUDDIES DRINK THEM!!!!
A man needs an incentive....your's is beautiful country, chance at hooking a real pain in the ass, and above all, getting the hell out of Sacramento. Plus I will introduce you boys to the oddest people this side of the Skagit Valley. Iffin' theys gonna shoot mes'.....I might as make fun of them first.