PDA

View Full Version : Yuba and L. Sac

koffler
11-09-2005, 11:24 AM
Took a few days off from work and went fishing. I floated the lower sac on Sunday and Monday and did very well. Salmon are in full spawn mode and 80%+ of the fish were taken on eggs. Sunday was an absolute zoo on the water and Monday was still crowded as well - hooked a ton of fish and landed about half of those. Went down to the Yuba on tuesday and floated to daguere dam - fishing was pretty good - the size of the fish was excellent although not as many as the sac. Same fare - bwo's and eggs - this is a terrific time of year; if you can get out do it soon. Good luck.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-09-2005, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the excellent report Koffler.

I know we all pappreciate it here.

I hope many of us can get out soon.

Tony Buzolich
11-09-2005, 01:16 PM
Once you got to Daguerre dam, where did you go then? It's still quite a ways to the mouth.
I've heard there is a portage around the dam so you could keep on going if you wanted to.

The land around the dam is private but I believe there is a club on the north side of the river with access.
TONY

koffler
11-09-2005, 02:38 PM
Tony,

Yes I have access to the club on the lower end of the river so that allows me to float to the dam from the bridge. There is another club above the bridge across from the UC property but it's not related to the one down river. The river near the dam was dramatically affected by the high spring flows as was most of the river.

11-09-2005, 06:58 PM
Tony
It is possable to go around the dam,but you have to go about 400 yards and down some steep riprap.Some of my friends took thier pontoons around ,but won't again.
Have you tried Hot Lips yet?

Tony Buzolich
11-09-2005, 11:13 PM
Hi Sturmer,

Yes I did. I went out last Monday on the Feather to do a little exploratory on stripers above the rapids. Nothing was caught above Shanghai but the guys have really been knocking them at and below the falls.
Hot Lips really danced well and if there were any stripers around they surely would have grabbed her in a flash.

Any chance you might be making some in a size or two larger with heavy hooks?
TONY

smokeater
11-10-2005, 11:12 PM
Kind of a silly question, but since I've never gone down that far here it is. How do the salmon/steelhead get past the dam? Is there some kind of fish ladder? What kind of dam is it?

11-10-2005, 11:36 PM
Tony
I prabaly won't be tying any more as I don't have the hooks and they aren't a fly you would just tye one at a time. Too much work.
Brandon ?
That dam does have a ladder. The shad won't clime it just the salmon and steelhead.
What kind of dam is it? answer. A dam dam. :roll:
[/img][/u][/i][/b]

koffler
11-11-2005, 11:23 AM
Smokeeater-

There is a ladder on the right side of the dam (when looking at the dam from below). Also, the dam isn't a traditional dam - I'm not sure what the proper name is but it's more like a big spillway. It's probably 40' high with about a 30 degree pitch - every few years some poor soul will try to run it and more than a few deaths have occured. Like someone else mentioned there is a way to portage around the dam but its a long way from the mouth and the fishing is spotty in there in terms of fishable water. It's a good place to go when the shad are in.

Steve Ekstrom
11-11-2005, 04:51 PM
I learned recently that stripers don't like to go up the Yuba "ladder" and as a result the young trout upstream are safe from that predator. This is one reason (cold water being another) that there's a healthy native trout population in the lower Yuba. Maybe everyone knows this, but it was new information for me. Interesting too.