PDA

View Full Version : Marble Mountain Ranch-Klamath River

Terry Thomas
11-08-2005, 10:00 AM
Noe Fierros and I headed up to the Klamath River on Friday and stayed at Doug Cole's Marble Mountain Ranch. The previous day they had over an inch or two of rain and the river rose from 2,000 cfs to over 5,000 cfs. On Saturday the river dropped to @3,000 cfs and we headed out on our drift trip with guide, Dan Anthon. Dan has been guiding the river for ten years now and knows the Klamath very well. We began our drift at Coon Creek, @10 miles above Somes Bar. (A little confusing since there is another Coon Creek
above Johnsons in the lower river). We drifted down to a take out above the ranch; a drift of about 6 miles. We did not land any adult fish that day, but we did land quite a number of half pounders. Before the storm, the first storm of the season, they had been landing many half pounders and a fair amount of adults on each trip...that's steelhead fishing for ya! Doug took out two conventional gear clients that day and they did manage to land a few adults. Marble Mountain Ranch is a well run operation. They have ten cabins that can handle two to four guests and they also have two homes that can house up to six people. The Ranch serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner for those wishing to be pampered, like the both of us. The food was excellent! We traveled up I-5 and cut up 299 to 96. The trip took us about 6 hours. On the way passed the Trinity we saw many anglers. On the Klamath we saw zero anglers. Next Fall we will try to set up a couple of trips up there through the shop. I would highly recommend Marble Mountain Ranch. You can check them out on the web.
BTW...on Sunday the Trinity was starting to look quite off color. With rain the last two days I would think that you would have to fish above Steel Bridge to find fishable water.
Terry