PDA

View Full Version : Klamath and Trinity got rain.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-08-2005, 09:41 AM
Depending on the weather the Trinity and Klamath should be very good soon.

Noe Fierros and Terry Thomas said that the Klamath and Trinity were both high and off color on Sunday as they were driving home.

It is weather like this that turns those fish on.

sculpin
11-08-2005, 12:05 PM
Bill there seems to be a lot of that rain stuff going around. We got a pretty good rain here in the Rogue Valley the last few days. I haven't been to the river yet but the gages seem to be falling rapidly. If they don't boost the flows out of Lost Creek Lake things could get back to normal in a few days and hopefully with some fresh fish.

Mark

Rick J
11-08-2005, 06:35 PM
The Klamath went from somewhere around 3000 cfs to 30,000 cfs in a few days but is starting back down. Guess Bruce pulled his boat the day before the big spike but it will be awhile at least for the lower river

Here is a good river flow link

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/or/nwis/rt

This is for Oregon but you can toggle to any state you want

trowtbum
11-13-2005, 09:01 PM
The zoo arrived at the Trinity... an armada of drift boats all week long. 7 or 8 boats launched in DC alone on Wednesday, another 6 from Dutch birdge to Pigeon point... plus a bunch of Guides from the Mammoth Lakes area were there too.

Too many guides and not enough buckets equals a war zone with flared tempers for both bankies and drifters with lots of rude anglers that were Johny Come Latleys with ruthless Low Holing techniques.

Sad but true every weekday I was there last week, Monday thru Saturday.

Jasonh
11-14-2005, 07:08 AM
I was there last week as well tuesday thru friday and it was a zoo unless you fished below Del Loma. Fished mainly from Skunk Point down to Willow Creek. The water was clear and fishing was tough. Only managed to hook up with a few halfpounders and one adult. While we probably could have hooked more fish further upriver with nymphs, i would rather swing flies further donw river for those steelies. They are usually very receptive to a swung fly. I think once the entire river completely blows out it could be pretty good. Until then you are not missing much unless you like combat fishing. While the fishing was tough it was still a great trip.

Jason Hartwick

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-14-2005, 10:06 AM
Chuck, Joe and Andy from the shop are going now.

We will have a report later in the week.

trowtbum
11-14-2005, 11:35 AM
I don't think I'll be going back... the people that fish there from out of the area have no ethics on sportsmanship while flyfishing... Especially the guides from out of the area with clients... you'd think all they work for is tip money, the way they behave. Got to do whatever to get that bonus money.

I wish the DFG had the ability to pull guide licenses for rude behaviour. I've never seen anything like it before. Plus those aluminum drift boats hit one little rock with a clunk, and the fish freak out and are gone... I watched it from a bluff... a raft goes through, there is a little rubbing sound, the pod of fish stayed. An aluminum drift boat goes through, one little "clunk" on a rock and the fish head for the next county.

Is it any wonder I hate driftboats, their owners, and guides from out of the area? They basically ruined a trip for me, which I drove a long ways for to make. It was a complete waste of time and money.

Combat fishing in a war zone.... no thanks, not my cup of tea.

Jasonh
11-14-2005, 01:10 PM
Trowtbum, i feel the same way you do about some of the guides up there. Most of the ones that i have run into are very curtious bu there are definately a few that have no right to be on the water. I wish California would adopt some fo the regs that Idaho and Monatana have when it comes to guiding in certain areas. I know up there you can only guides on water that they are licensed for and cannot just take clients anywhere. On the trinity you have to feel bad for guys like Herb Burton and the guys the Eureka fly shop who are probably losing some business due to the number of "other" guides up there. I have nothing against guides and in fact love to go out with them, but there comes a point when there need to be some restrictions at least on waters like the trinity.

The problem that i have found with the Trinity is that some many people have little or no ettiquete when it comes to steelhead fishing. At least above the north fork most people hog holes and runs from hour on end and will not fish through a run and then move back up to the top. I love to fish for steelhead especially on the swing and it makes it that much harder when guys hog holes, do not move for hours, or cut in as you are working down a run. This is one of the reasons i stick to the lower river there. .While you might not catch as many fish, it is less crowded, and more enjoyable. Thats my 2 cents worth.

Jason Hartwick