PDA

View Full Version : Mounting a new trolling motor on a 1986 Tide Runner

Richard
11-07-2005, 03:39 PM
I have just purchased a new (to me) 13.5 ft. 1986 Tide Runner (like a Boston Whaler) and have a Minn Kota 55PD bow mount I plan to put on it. Here is my problem. :oops: The boat has enough room on the bow to mount the motor (over seven inches) but the hull is solid (fiberglass sandwich over foam as I understand it). That is you can't drill holes through the mounting shelf that come out so you can put nuts on the bolts. I have been told that I can use anchor bolts but I am concerned that one layer of fiberglass won't hold the weight of the motor. I sure don't want the motor ripping off part of the hull. :eek:

Does anyone have experience mounting a trolling motor where you can't bolt through the hull? Any help would be appreciated. The boat won't be much use on the Delta without a bow mounted trolling motor.

Thanks

sculpin
11-07-2005, 05:26 PM
I can't help you with the bolt question because I am not fanilar with the boat mentioned. You may want to look at the new quick release mount for the Minn Kota motors if you havent already. Link below.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/horizontal-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat21276&id=0031073017273a&navCount=2&podId=0031073&parentId=cat21380&navAction=push&catalogCode=IF&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat21380&hasJS=true