PDA

View Full Version : New(Used) Boat - need advise/help

BSD
11-06-2005, 07:15 PM
I recently picked up a new for me '82 tri-hull boat that I plan on using in the Delta and San Luis. Today I took it out on the water and found that I couldnt reverse or even neutral. Right after it turns on it starts moving, pretty slow, but still ... Talked to the previous owner and he says he has never been able to get it to neutral. The engine is an 82 mariner 60 hp outboard. Does anyone know if this engine can go neutral and reverse? I'm about to order manuals for the engine and I am thinking the wiring or cables are wrong or something. Any ideas? One more question, do most people have a second battery to dedicate to a trolling motor or is everything run from one battery? Thanks for any help.

Also, if anyone has found some good boating pages I would appreciate the links, I'm new to this. Thanks.

Brian

Gregg Machel
11-06-2005, 09:26 PM
Check the menu above under Links-Boats. Bill has a ton of good boat links there.

Darian
11-06-2005, 10:39 PM
Hey Brian,..... Assuming that your gear selector is near a remote engine switch, it sounds like your engine has a gearing problem. :( The selector may be disfunctional or gears shot. :( :( (I can't believe that the prior owner would've allowed that condition to continue without repair) At any rate, inspection by a qualified mechanic is warranted here. 8) 8)

Your boat should have a dedicated battery for starting your engine, running bilge pumps, running lights, etc.... And another, dedicated battery, for running the trolling motor, depth/fish finder. 8) 8) I would recommend installing an on-board battery charging system. That way you can re-charge after each trip. The convenience is well worth the investment. :D :D :D

BruceB
11-07-2005, 10:06 PM
You need two batteries, one for starting the engine and one for the trolling motor. You should also have a battery isolator switch. This switch will allow you to disconnect both batteries when you store the boat so nothing can pull any power from them. Another position will allow you to only use the starting battery when starting the boat. A third position will allow you to only use the trolling battery when using the trolling motor. The fourth and last position allows you to use both batteries when starting the gas motor or tolling motor. Make sure to mount this switch where you can easily reach it, not in some compartment.

Regarding the shifting problem there are two cables going to the motor. One of these cables controls the gas and the other is for shifting the transmission on the motor. Disconnect this cable and move the shifter back and forth to see if the cable moves. If it does the trouble is going to in the linkage (unlikely) or the transmission. Go see a mechanic if that's the problem.

Since you are new to boating you need to learn about the care and feeding of the wheel bearings on your trailer. If your trailer doesn't have bearing buddies buy them and keep them full of grease. Shot wheel bearings can quickly ruin an axle and strand you on the freeway. Wheel bearings should be repacked yearly.

Hope this helps.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-08-2005, 12:00 AM
It might be the shift cable or linkage?

Should be able to work right?

I would get a good manual on that motor or find a good Mercury/Mariner mechanic.