PDA

View Full Version : Go now while it is still nice out there.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-04-2005, 10:02 AM
I would try to get out as much as you can before the end of November.

Water and air temps are still good for fish and humans.

Hundreds of lakes in CA have large trout cruising the shoreline looking for you.

We are getting great reports from most all larger trout streams of good late season fly fishing. Smaller flies seem to be working for many.

There is some Striper activity in the Delta now.

There are dozen of rivers that you can find Steelhead in now.

Fall is a great time to find some hungry fish.

Hairstacker
11-04-2005, 01:38 PM
Yep, I definitely second your comments Bill, November in California is a GREAT month for fly flingers. Too many excellent choices right now, actually. 8) 8) 8)

chemdoc
11-04-2005, 03:38 PM
I was thinking of getting out one more time to the Sierras before the 15th and was trying to decide where to go. Any thoughts on some good spots for a final pre-winter trip? I go to the Silver Fork quite often, but thought it might be fun to try somewhere different. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Phil

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-05-2005, 01:27 AM
You might go the East Carson below Hangman's Bridge.

Darian
11-05-2005, 09:09 AM
Hi Phil,.... I second Bill's suggestion. If you decide to go, don't forget all of the lakes/streams on both sides of Carson Pass..... Many opportunities up that road.... 8) 8) 8)

JAWallace
11-05-2005, 10:17 AM
Indian Creek Reservoir can be productive now too and is rarely crowded. 5x, buggers and leeches, subsurface to 12 feet. Midday is best.

chemdoc
11-05-2005, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I have never been to the East Carson and was considering that. The weather looks questionable next week when I was planning to go, highs in the mid 40's and cloudy. Any idea how the action will be when it turns cold like that? I was hoping for some dry fly action, but I don't know if hatches will occur when it turns cold.

Darian
11-05-2005, 10:04 PM
I think the info in the post directly above yours has the correct idea. 8) You could fish dries if you caught a warm sunny day (late PM).... You can still fish upstream with nymphs, tho. The East Carson'll still put out some nice fish to a streamer, etc.... 8) On the west side, there's always the Mokelumne or the upper Silver Fork or Caples Creek (American River). The higher altitude lakes (Caples, Silver, etc.) might be windy but still good from a float tube.... dress WARM!!!!

Hope you have a good trip.... :D :D

Darian
11-06-2005, 10:58 PM
Hey Phil,.... There's some good fishing info on the Reno Fly Shop site for the East Carson, etc.... 8) 8) 8)

CW
11-09-2005, 02:36 PM
There is snow on the ground in the little Truckee area, but the fish are still coming up on top. Hat Creek was exploding with rising fish (3 weeks ago, but just crowded). If you are willing to put up with the drive, little Truckee had at least 6 cars by Boyington Mills parking lot, and at least 6 cars in the parking lot by Stampede, but the people were spread out, so you could find some seclusion. The water is cold, but so is the air! (right around 45 F outside), don't forget your beanie, fleece, and gloves ..... the fish were rising the whole time we were on the water, late morning until early afternoon. Don't forget your BWOs all stages, they got picky later in the afternoon.