PDA

View Full Version : American Report 11/3

Chris Laskodi
11-03-2005, 11:56 PM
Hi all,
Fished the American today at Hoffman Park from about 1-dark. Hooked six, landed four, LDR'd one, and missed a bunch. This was the first time I've done anything on the American so far (this is only my fourth trip out).

All the fish were small, biggest went around 16". Most were 12-14". There will definitely a lot more active fish than before, I think theres been a push of new steelies with these storms. Still looking for the adult fish though.

All fish were caught on a size 14 Fox poopah. Here's one of them:

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c162/ctlaskodi/DSCN6968.jpg

Lots of snaggers out for salmon along the Hagan Park side. I did manage to hook a fish in front of them and they didn't look like the happiest people. They started to throw their lead weights closer and closer to me until I finally moved.

Overall, it's been the best day for me this year. Hope to get out sometime next week. If anyone is interested in joining me, I'd be more than happy to coordinate something. I'm still trying to learn this river and am always looking for new fishin' buddies and new spots. :D

Chris Laskodi

MSP
11-04-2005, 07:24 AM
Encouraging report chris. Nice job on the 1/2 pounders. Looks like things may be picking up! I'll find out today. :)

Jasonh
11-04-2005, 04:47 PM
Nice report. Too bad about the bait chunkers/snaggers. They need to chill out and realize that most of us are fishing for a different species!

Jason Hartwick

FishyMe
11-05-2005, 01:22 PM
I would love to join you and learn how to fly fish the american.. im still new to fly fishing.been fishing mostly putah creek... what weight pole are you using???????? if you want to go out sometimes, let me know.. i check the forums every now and then..

Darian
11-05-2005, 10:32 PM
Hi Fishy,..... If you've been nymphing in Putah Creek, you can use the same tactics in the American using an indicator.... 8)

Rod weights vary from 6 thru 8 for Steelhead (some prefer lighter, some heavier).... Heavier rods help when casting under windy conditions but are probably not as much fun and are tiring over the course of a day.... :?

Under most circumstances, floating or sink-tip lines will work, if nymphing, and you can use the sink tip to swing flies if you choose.... 8) 8)

Chris Laskodi
11-10-2005, 08:13 PM
Just another report. Didn't want to have to start a new thread.

I fished the American again today at Hoffman. Caught four fish. The biggest landed was an 18" half-pounder. I did hook a bigger fish, it may have been an adult steelhead. I'm pretty sure it wasn't a salmon because it didn't break me off. I'm hoping it was an adult steelie.

The fish this outing were bigger than last weeks. All were 14" and up, with most about 16".

There were a lot more salmon this week then last, and they were real active. The snaggers were out in force again. They really do not like fly-flingers.

I had a little episode with them. They even started threatening me verbally this week rather than just casting two feet away from me. I was actually getting a bit scared. I really should have called the sheriff, but I just walked away. They didn't like that I was fishing on "their" water.

Lets just say that all those guys are a-holes. One of the idiots did say something really funny though. He accused me of 'spooking' the fish. I just thought that was hilarious when they are throwing a half-pound of lead and huge hooks.

Overall, it was a good day. A lot of bugs out. A big BWO hatch during the afternoon but only a few fish up. It was a bit slower than I hoped. I think the nice weather put down the fish for a change. It was beautiful out there.

Chris Laskodi