PDA

View Full Version : Spey Lines

JC Peterson
11-02-2005, 05:32 PM
I'm new to this forum & relatively new to spey casting. When casting somewhat correctly (I'm up to 3 good casts out of 5), the advantages of spey casting are phenominal! My quandry is about spey lines. I have two ACR rods a 12'-6" 5wt. EPS & a 13'-3" 6wt. LS. I use the RIO Windcutter 5/6 mutitip on the 5wt. which works great on floating lines but have difficulty digging out sinking lines. The 6wt is much more forgiving with a RIO Windcutter 6/7/8 & I can dig out type 7 sinking as long as the fly isn't overly heavy. I want to try skagett (?) (shooting) but that seems to be a whole world of its own. Shooting a single hand rod usually requires having the head out of the tip-top with a foot or so of overhang & the smallest diameter/slickest runnig line possbile (ie the least resistance running line makes for a longer cast). As I understand spey casting (talking with Jeff) you have the head & foot or so of overhang, but still use a relatively long heavy body running line? I believe there was a posting under spey where windcutter 8/9/10 belly was used with a heavy head on a lighter (5wt.) rod? (ie the conventional heavy body spey aids in furthering the cast due to inertia in line turnover, the heavier belly doesn't contibute to overloading the rod prior to casting, only the head). At any rate how does one try different lines without going broke?

David Lee
11-02-2005, 05:36 PM
Hi JC -

I can't answer your line questions (mucho Spey guys on here will answer them shortly ...) , just wanted to say WELCOME TO THE BOARD :D

David

Jasonh
11-02-2005, 07:03 PM
I dont know a whole lot about the skagit lines either but when speaking with Jeff Putnam they involve stripping in a lot of line prior to casting and then shooting a lot of line. It is a little shorter and quicker casting stroke. Based on everything i have read and heard they are great lines for fishing long and deep. I am anxious to try the skagit lines as well but intil i really need them i think i will hold off. As far as trying lines you might want to contact Jeff Putnam at the shop because he has a wide variety of lines and is usuallu giving lessons at Watt Ave on the American. You might be able to meet him there and try out a few. You can also go down to Watt Ave on saturdays and sundays and there are usually a handfull of guys down there casting different spey lines and rods. Mostly just practicing and talking about new and different spey stuff. This is a good way to learn new things about different aspects of spey casting and equipment and maybe even try a few new things.

Jason Hartwick

sculpin
11-02-2005, 10:20 PM
Welcome to the board. I am not a pro spey caster but do have a Skaget line for my spey rod. The toatal head should be 3 to 3 1/2 times the length of your rod. They do have to be stripped back in if a long cast is made. They are fantastic for close in work in tight conditions. I find them easy to cast, but understand not all rods are good for this type of casting. I would talk to the builder for input on what line to use. I'm sure someone with more experience than I have will chime in here.Here is a link to Rio's site.
http://www.rioproducts.com/pages/flylines_prodpage.asp?product=21662&useMet=0#chart

Mark

Jasonh
11-02-2005, 10:41 PM
Mark, what rod do you have your skagit line on. I would think that a skagit line might be good for the rogue. I was thinking about bringing one up there to test out and see if i want to get one.

Jason Hartwick

sculpin
11-02-2005, 11:19 PM
Jason
I have the Rio 650grn Skaget on a European Shakespeare 9/11 14ft. It is a beast of a rod and would use the 750grn as well. It is really way to much stick for the upper Rogue. It takes a 15lb fish to start working the Rod. It was great for our trip to BC and will make a good lower river rod for Kings. I am trying different spey rods for the upper Rogue trying to find one that fit my style of fishing. What rod are you thinking of using the Skaget line on?

Mark

Jasonh
11-03-2005, 06:06 AM
Mark, i just picked up a burkheimer 13' 9" 8 weight. For now i am just going to throw a windcutter 8-9-10 on it but eventually i might try a 550 skagit with a 5' cheater. I hear it is a good setup on this rod. As for the rogue i am going to bring my 1287 scott arc and ACR 1204 up there to fish next week.

Jason Hartwick

Brett
11-04-2005, 11:33 AM
Jason, it sounds like you have almost as many fly rods now as you do golf clubs. Keep it up, and you can open your own shop.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-16-2005, 10:35 PM
The Skagit lines are better for throwing fast sinking tips for many especially those like me who are very new to Spey casting.

Gregg Machel
11-16-2005, 11:23 PM
I was also curious about the Skagit lines vs. Traditional spey lines. I asked Jeff Putnam about this and if I should get another spool and start to learn Skagit. I was advised to not to go with the Skagit at this point since I already have a decent (with much room for improvement) cast. In talking to others, the Skagit line is easier to cast for someone just learning Spey casting, but as has been said above, it involves a lot of stripping and shooting of line, where you would not have this using the traditional lines.

My first spey casting experience was actually on a Skagit line on the Rouge River, and I was able to cast well enough after a 10 minute lesson on the first day to actually hook a couple large Steelhead (10 & 15 lb estimated), but didn't land either due to being brand new to Spey Rods.

I use an ACR 6 wt. with a Windcutter 7/8/9 line.

My 2 cents worth.

Rick J
11-17-2005, 08:05 AM
JC,
I would try either a 450 grain skagit or the body of a WC 10/11/12 (around 400 grains or so) on those rods if you wanted to try skagit casting.

Jeff Putnam
12-06-2005, 11:22 PM
To figue out what Rio skagit line to use (they have become the standard with good reason, of course) based on a med to fast action spey rod I have found this a standard when teaching and fishing, 6 Weight Rod=450 grain, 7 Weight Rod=500grain, 8 Weight Rod=550, 9-10 Weight Rod=650 or 750. Use the skagit cheaters to get a better turnover and add control the over grain weight for loading. I carry T-14 heads in 5, 10, 15, and 20 feet for skagit presentations. There are many benfits to skagit such as the ease of developing and anchor and d loop, casting heavy lead heads/flies and shooting distance. I still can't forget the main reason I fell in love with the spey rod, when fishing I could cast immediatley after the presentation was finished, no stripping line therefore, covered water quickly. I was also impressed at the control I had over a swinging fly by being able to mend out to 60 feet or more with a long belly spey line and bring the fly to a super slow crawl, holding it in the zone longer. Due to the nature of skagit line, these aspects are not possible. I use my skagit system mainly on coastal rivers where I'm casting 20 to 60 feet and I need to get down to the bottom in heavier flows.
Spey rodders... it's that time of year, here they come, fresh from the salt!!!

Gregg
12-06-2005, 11:39 PM
Holy moley...I was thinking of getting into spey, but maybe not... :shock: :lol: :lol:

Gregg Machel
12-07-2005, 12:00 AM
You need to go for it. Have Adam show you how to cast, he's pretty good at it and knows how to teach it too, and since you guys are buddies, he'll probably do it for a couple beers! :)

Adam Grace
12-07-2005, 01:13 AM
Yeah, leave the teaching me, JEFF - JERK!

I'm 006 punk!

Beat that POOTY! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have taught Gregg a little bit at San Rafael last year in the rain.

Good Times!

Spey casting can be complicated, but fun.

Jeff really is the man. He's the 7th person to get his spey casting certification, which is very honorable and impressive! Jeff passed before some of the "Big names in spey casting."

Jeff is the real deal!

Jasonh
12-07-2005, 05:08 AM
Spey casting/fishing is awesome! I have become a spey junkie over the last year and while i still have a lot of work to doas far as my casting, it makes fishless day that much more fun. Not to metion the fact that is makes fishing on the swing and fishing tips easier. Jeff Putnam has taught me a lot and i still have a lot to learn. If you are just getting started in spey casting i would highly reccomend a lesson from Jeff. If you have not tried spey yet, give it a try. you'll probably fall in love with it. I am already finding myself getting rid of some of my single hand rods to buy more soey rods!

Jason Hartwick

Adam Grace
12-07-2005, 09:01 AM
You HAVE caught the sickness I see!

The final step is to reduce the singled handed rods in exchange for spey rods, VERY NICE! :lol:

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-16-2005, 10:47 AM
I still hear funny comment over at the Spey rod rack from those who are un-informed. It is very understandable. I don't think we need to be 'dragging' people to Spey. I think we should let them come naturally.

"Looks like a lot of work."

"How would you land a fish on that?"

It was not truly excited about it till I went fishing with a Spey rod with knowledgeable people.

I was a real crazy Steelheader till I went flats fishing in the tropics in the mid-'80s. Then I got consumed with shallow salt water fly fishing.

Now after fishing the Grand Ronde this October I am really jazzed again for the Iron Heads and Spey casting. It might sound dumb but after my experience on the GR I don't picture myself using a single handed rod for Steelhead much. Yes there are some places where it will be better with a 'short' rod.

Spey on Dudes..............

Jasonh
12-16-2005, 10:59 AM
Bill, you need to take that new two hander out there on the American and find some of those early run winter steelies!

Jason Hartwick