PDA

View Full Version : Chum in American

flygolf
11-01-2005, 09:37 PM
Was out at the American today expecting Goethe to be packed now that the upper river is closed but it wasn't that bad. Very, Very slowwww not much running at all. Interestingly enough the only fish that was caught (spin) was a Chum Salmon. It's the only one I have every seen on the American pretty cool.

Jasonh
11-01-2005, 10:01 PM
Wow, that fish must be way off course. Pretty cool though.

Jason Hartwick

Tony Buzolich
11-02-2005, 06:47 AM
Did you actually see the fish? Most chum have vertical markings on an olive body and some king salmon get real wierd markings too that might look like a chum.
TONY

jbird
11-02-2005, 07:55 AM
did it look anything like this?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/jbird35/DSC03036.jpg

Tony Buzolich
11-02-2005, 09:45 AM
That is definitely a chum.
TONY

flygolf
11-02-2005, 11:50 AM
Yes, I actually did see the fish and took pics of it with my phone and have been trying to get them off of there to post. I showed the pics to Jeff Putnam and Bill at the shop yesterday they can confirm. And yes the fish looked exactly like that fine chum in the picture that was posted. Bill said that DFG says they get a few in the hatchery but actually catching one in a couple thousand is pretty lucky.

Jgoding
11-02-2005, 02:07 PM
I bet it was cool to see that fish. Anyone know the regs on Chum Salmon on the American? If you look at the regs and interpret them directly, I would assum any other salmon than a King has to be released, as the regs mention only 1 hatchery steelie or trout can be kept and 3 KING salmon.... What does everyone else think about that...

Jeff

David Lee
11-02-2005, 04:48 PM
Back when I was a gear-fishing savage (as opposed to a flyfishing savage ....) , I fished Salmon quite a lot in the A. -

1985-1986 was fantastic for Kings .... and I saw several Humpies (Pink Salmon) landed !! Some fellow at the hatchery told me they get lost sometimes and come up river w/ the 'wrong' Salmon schools . Is it true ?? I don't pretend to know the answer to that one ....

David

Darian
11-02-2005, 04:56 PM
Hey Jeff,..... I think I understand your application of the regs but if your interpretation is correct, aren't all other species caught in the American required to be immediately released unharmed (e.g. Stripers, sunfish, Catfish, Smallies, etc.), too. 8) 8)

I think it means that Chum's are catchable/keepable, if wanted, under general application of the regs.... 8) This is probably too basic an explanation, tho.... :roll: :roll:

jbird
11-02-2005, 06:19 PM
Keep in mind that the chum salmons' other name is "dog salmon". It is said the indians gave them the name because they tasted so bad they were only good for dog food. Of coarse the contrary legend is they were given the name because of their gnarly, dog like teeth. I havnt eaten all of the pacific salmon, but it is said the chum is the yuckiest....is that a word? They look so mean that I'm afraid if I ate one I'd have nightmares of big packs of them getting revenge on me. :shock:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/jbird35/DSC03091.jpg

Jgoding
11-03-2005, 09:05 AM
I've heard they got their name from their big teeth and some people think they are one of the better tasting salmon but never having actually tried one I wouldn't know. But they are the primary salmon runs in other countries so they can't be that bad.... or so you would think.

Darian, I guess that makes sense as those are the special regs for that body of water I was reading and that all other DFG limits/rules apply to all other species. I was just over thinking it I guess... bad for me!!

Jeff

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-03-2005, 09:40 AM
They get a run of wild Chum Salmon on the little 14 mile long Miami River that flows into Tillamook Bay in Oregon. It is catch-n-release too. My friends, Mike McCune, Craig Zeigler and Scott O'Donnell, who guide fly fishing for years up there have talked about it some.

I have also heard they get different species of fish into the hatcheries that are probably lost.

Adam Grace
11-03-2005, 12:59 PM
That's totally crazy!

I have never heard of a Chum being caught in the American River!

Wow, thanks for the picture!

Darian
11-03-2005, 02:23 PM
Chums always look like they're wearing camo combat fatigues, to me. :lol: :lol:

As for the edibility of Chums, I'd be willing to bet that anyone who has eaten canned Pink Salmon has eaten Chum as well as Pink Salmon.... I don't think canneries make any distinction one pink fleshed Salmon species and another. 8)

Both, Chums/Pinks appear to have flesh that is slightly lighter orange than the other Pacific Species. Cooking one of these Salmon requires creative use of maranades, spices, etc., But they seem to turn out pretty good if done correctly.... :D :D

bubzilla
11-03-2005, 04:07 PM
I'm new to checking this board and normally wouldn't just jump in with both feet, but saw the Oregon chum runs mentioned and thought I'd post. I know the Southern Oregon guys that post here. :D And, had the pleasure of meeting Jeff while he was up on the Rogue putting on spey classes earlier this fall with Gary Anderson, Steve Godshall, and Mark McGinnis. By the way, I still suck with a spey rod Jeff, but now I suck with less authority. :lol:

There are two arguably viable chum runs in rivers that empty into Tillamook Bay, i.e., the Miami and Kilches rivers, as well some remnant fish in several of the other rivers in the area, e.g., the Wilson and Trask. Both the Kilches and Miami rivers have catch-and-release seasons for chum; although, most would probably agree they shouldn't. Run numbers in both rivers are severely depressed as the result of the usual culprits related to salmon habitat degradation, but with special emphasis in the case of chum on lower river agricultural practices and commercial gravel operations. Being fish that spawn in the lowest reaches of rivers and streams, chum are particularly susceptible to problems with waterways that tend to be worst in the lowest gradient portions of those watersheds. Of the two rivers with fish, the Kilches has far-and-away greater numbers of returning fish, but even the run on the Kilches is a sad shadow of its former self. Unfortunately due to their proximity to the metropolitan areas of Portland, Salem, and the entire upper Willamette Valley, what's left of the chum are frequently subjected to an almost unbelievable amount of pressure for their numbers with the commensurate number of people wading through redds and snagging as their primary goal. It’s particularly sad to see the number of individuals carrying fly rods who are guilty of those things. I fished both rivers extensively in the late 80s and very early 90s, but haven't done so in over a decade at this point. I’ve landed literally hundreds of chum in both rivers on fly gear, but even by the time I began fishing for them their runs were in steady decline. As the last substantial runs in Oregon, they ought to be getting better treatment than they are currently, and personally I think it’s unethical to fish for them at this point–particularly given the availability of enormous hatchery-reared chum runs to the north in both Washington and southern B.C.

As for the edibility of chum, a distinction between feeder fish in salt and sexually mature fish either in salt staging to enter estuaries or that have already entered freshwater should be made. The former is not only edible it is in fact marketed commercially as suggested above–I’ve only seen it canned but wouldn’t be shocked to learn it appears in other forms as well. The latter is pretty much universally accepted as inedible. As chum are the first salmon to degrade--even prior to actually entering freshwater--their status as table fish when caught in estuaries or rivers is generally questioned. And it's true that the name "dog" salmon is related both to the canine-like teeth that the males exhibit upon returning to freshwater as well as stories related to native peoples of Alaska using them to feed their dogs. Most chum that are harvested after entering freshwater are hens which are taken for their eggs. There are numerous commercial fisheries (typically tribal) along the Washington and B.C. coasts designed to harvest eggs only, and it’s a common occurrence among sports anglers in places like Hoodsport in Washington.

They don’t get a lot of respect, but they are a wonderful game fish. They are aggressive to flies, and put up a hell of a fight. It’s a shame there aren’t more of them in their original habitat. Unfortunately, they have been among the first to succumb to the pressures of development in most places, and I’d imagine that will continue.

Grant

sculpin
11-03-2005, 06:24 PM
Hey Grant nice to see you over here. Good post. Even if I could type and spell I couldn't match you.

Mark

Darian
11-04-2005, 12:45 AM
Welcome to the BB community and thanks for the info Grant.... 8) 8) 8)

flygolf
12-23-2005, 08:53 PM
I finally got the pics off of my camera phone here is the pic of that chum.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/flygolf/chumnov1.jpg

flygolf
12-23-2005, 08:55 PM
The guy holding it is Joe not me. Mark

David Lee
12-23-2005, 08:59 PM
Yep - looks like a Chum .

Now .... any photos of the sea-run AR Browns floating around ??

I've heard of three in the past 20 years . Never seen a picture , though ....

nice shot , mark !!

David

sculpin
12-24-2005, 08:45 AM
That's a chum for sure and a large one . Nice catch and photo.