PDA

View Full Version : Jet Ski Fishing

JAWallace
11-01-2005, 01:30 PM
I know a local guy who fishes from his Sea Doo. He has a cooler for gear strapped on the back, loves it!

Trying to imagine the possibilities, has anyone else done this? The new Hondas are $10K, about 10' long and 55" wide, 165 HP, super stable. Might work, and might clearly piss of some bankers too!

It would be fun to find an old one and do some mods....

John

David Lee
11-01-2005, 06:02 PM
:-k :-o :idea:

I'd really like to see a jet-ski torpedo ..... one that would fit in the back of my vest , have built-in tracking , weigh less than 5 lbs. and impresses on the jet-ski rider that it's very uncivil to blow by me on the American doing 30 MPH .

Well ..... I can dream , can't I ???

:twisted: David :twisted:

Gregg Machel
11-01-2005, 07:01 PM
This is why I'm putting in a special order on my Jet-Ski that includes anti-torpedo technology, so that I can defeat your Jet-Ski Torpedo. :twisted:

Seriously I don't see why you wouldn't want to fish from a Jet-Ski. If nothing else, it's great transportation from one spot to another.

David Lee
11-01-2005, 07:14 PM
This is why I'm putting in a special order on my Jet-Ski that includes anti-torpedo technology, so that I can defeat your Jet-Ski Torpedo. :twisted:

Seriously I don't see why you wouldn't want to fish from a Jet-Ski. If nothing else, it's great transportation from one spot to another.

You're a funny one tonight , big fella !!

Picture this - you are casting to cranky , snotty Trout on lower Hat creek . You finally get that downstream cast together , hook it just right , and make a PERFECT drift ....... you watch your tiny little dry drift closer and closer to where your target Trout is feeding ...... just a few more feet and mr. Trout is gonna EAT that no-see-um !!

Then .... some prick on a dirtbike comes roarin' down the bank .

Nothing against jet-skis when they're used IN OPER WATER (middle of the Pacific ?) , I've just had too many bad guys and girls run up the river past me while I'm wading chest-deep . And while I'm float-tubing 20 feet off the shoreline .

They don't belong in the American (or the Hat , or the Fall ....) , and they shouldn't speed within 100 yards of the bank of a lake .

Torpedos , anyone ??? :P

David :D :D :D

Gregg Machel
11-01-2005, 07:45 PM
I would agree with what you say about inconsiderate people on Jet-Ski's, but wouldn't the same apply to a boater with a motor that is also inconsiderate? If they are allowed on the water, then what's the difference? I will admit that it's not too cool when your wading and a boat comes by with a motor either, and same would apply to a Jet-Ski. Doesn't it boil down the the person driving either the boat or the Jet-Ski as to how considerate they are or are not?

Now I don't own a boat (besides a small army of float tubes) or a jet-ski, just talking through it because to me it seemed like a good idea too.

David Lee
11-01-2005, 07:46 PM
Hmmmmm .....

It just occured to me .... some might take what I've written at face value . Time for the disclaimer -

I , David Lee , DO NOT ADVOCATE harming , maiming , or otherwise molesting jetskiers . The torpedo comments were nothing more than my feeble attempt at humor ... I would NEVER suggest hurting my fellow humans , no matter how ruthlessly they try to ruin my outdoor experence .

This also goes for waterskiers , boneheads in $30,000. Bassboats , baitfishermen , rafters , kayakers , swimmers , etc. .

Live and let live , I always say 8-[

How stable are jetskis to flycast off of , anyways :?:

David :unibrow:

mikenewman
11-01-2005, 07:48 PM
Don't need no torpedo - got my new tcr 9wt and 30' of lc13 :D
Actually met a guy the other day who carries a sling shot and ball bearings when he fishes the Delta. He said he didn't aim to hit the jetskiers but:"just get close enough to make 'em think twice before coming back for a second run". I thought he was joking until I looked into his eyes.... :shock:

Gregg Machel
11-01-2005, 08:10 PM
Hrmmm, I guess I haven't yet had the pleasure of meeting a jet skier on the water while fishing. I can imagine they would be rude, because why do they use one? ... To go around the water as fast as possible and see how wild they can get. In an ideal world, if one was to use one to fish out of, and did respect the waters of fisherman by slowing down while going around them, etc. it could have it's place. I guess I would also need a sling shot deflector in addition to my anti-torpedo devices. :)

JAWallace
11-01-2005, 10:18 PM
I hate jet skis too..unless I'm driving one!

Actually, when driving one I definitely slow way down and give fisherman a wide berth. Maybe that's for another thread. I'm still intriugued with the possibilities, and actually the higher end units are VERY stable, certainly more than a small jon in my experience. They have Honda Civic engines, carry three people, can tow skiiers, etc. Pretty beefy machines anymore, I'm actually starting to like them alot, and not just for the speed. Kind of a mini bass boat.

JAWallace
11-01-2005, 10:46 PM
What I have in mind is creating an outrigger jet ski. Use two old inflatable pontoons rigged on a frame on a pully system. Drop them to the surface when fishing for a super stable casting platform, then retrieve them when you want to move. Just a thought, could be impractical.

Jet skis put out much less wake than most boats, so in my mind if you obey the 5 mph limit on the American and show respect for others, it's the same or better than a boat as far as interference and the new 4 strokes are quiet. I would agree that the majority of jet skiers can be insensitive to those of us that don't use always use, or prefer not to use, internal combustion for transportation. My favorite is a pontoon, but that's not always practical for covering big water or for a RT on a river.

Tracy Chimenti
11-08-2005, 08:56 PM
I used to see a guy troll with one up at Oroville. And he caught fish. Ought to work fly fishing.

Tracy

Darian
11-08-2005, 11:47 PM
I can certainly see the potential for using these things in the protected waters of the Delta or lakes for fishing.... 8) What's the draft on a jet ski (how much water does it draw) :?: :?: :?:

Actually, a jet ski is not responsible for its owners bad manners or unsafe operation.... Unfortunately, there're a lot of arseholes out there riding 'em.... :( :(

Tracy Chimenti
11-09-2005, 12:37 AM
One major dawback: The weeds and moss of the Delta will clog that jet bad-- not good in the midst of a strong outgoing tide! You'd have to get in the water to remove the clog... then drive all the way back in the dark from Carquinez straits.

Tony Buzolich
11-09-2005, 09:20 AM
You boys must not be reading Hawaiian Fishing News, Kind of a monthly newpaper like the Fish Sniffer but catering to the islands.

Over there they use jet skis a lot for fishing. One article showed this guy with a big Penn International set up for trolling. He was actually able to land small marlin, mahi-mahi, ono. and various bottom fish.

:lol: ALOHA, TONY

Darian
11-09-2005, 10:28 AM
Hey Tony,.... Sounds like a new charter/guiding opportunity's available in Hawaii.... Maybe we otta look into it :?: :?: :lol:

Tracy,.... Kinda sounds like a personal experience. :( Hope the jet ski in question had some lights/GPS. :? Getting back from Carquinez could be a real problem during a heavy fog with a Golden Retriever on board.... 8) 8) :lol:

Larry Goodell
11-09-2005, 04:57 PM
I think a paint ball gun loaded with balls filled with stinky catfish bait would work real well. :lol:

Tracy Chimenti
11-13-2005, 09:52 AM
... and an ice chest full of beer