PDA

View Full Version : Tube Fly Supplies

Tony Buzolich
11-01-2005, 07:54 AM
Does anyone out there tie tube flies? If so, I'm looking for a source of supply for metal tubes of brass, copper, etc. whatever may be used.

Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks, TONY

Jasonh
11-01-2005, 08:44 AM
I have been tying some tube flies for about a year now and they are great. I prefer to tie mine on plastic tubes as opposed to metal tubes though. I have heard of some guys tying flies on q-tips. The lighter tubes seem to fish better on tips and the heavier ones i like better on flaoting lines and long leaders. I bought all my stuff at Bill's shop and i know he has the stuff for the starter kit and various tubes. Hope this helps.

Jason Hartwick

Darian
11-01-2005, 10:27 AM
Hi Tony,..... If I recall correctly, small brass tubing may be purchased at most model airplane/hobby shops.... If there aren't any of those in Marysville/Yuba City, there's a big one here in Sacramento (R/C Hobbies on Folsom Blvd near 59th Street.... 8) 8) )

11-01-2005, 09:31 PM
Tony
I got several sizes at Ace Hardware.

Tony Buzolich
11-02-2005, 06:56 AM
Thanks guys. I found an article on Fly Fisherman Magazine about tying tube flies and sources of supply too.

The information is actually for a friend in New Zealand named Eddie Bosomworth who's getting ready for a trip to Scotland fishing Atlantic salmon there.

Thanks again guys,
TONY

Bruce Slightom
11-04-2005, 12:32 PM
A friend gave me some plastic tubes from HMH that were 3/32". They were clear, black and red. I have been looking for more of these because I liked the small diameter tube. If anyone knows where to locate these please pass it along.

Darian
11-04-2005, 10:28 PM
Hey Bruce,..... How about trying the source, HMH :?: :?: :?:

Blake
11-22-2005, 12:39 PM
Check Kiene's first. If they don't have them, go here: http://www.wildernessangler.com. All orders get free shipping too, with no minimum order.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-22-2005, 02:59 PM
We stock the HMH tubes at Kiene's.

Call out toll free number today or tommorrow and ask for Jeff Putnam.

USA toll free 800 400 0359

Jay Murakoshi
11-29-2005, 02:42 PM
I tie alot of flies on tubes. Ranging from LMB to Sailfish. HMH is one of the suppliers for the hard plastic tubes. I made my own tube holder by using a sardine rigging hook. I just tapered the hook on a grinder to fit snug on the tube. If you decide to go that way, be sure to wear gloves, protective eye wear and use a pair of vise grips. My first try, I was holding on to the hook and grinding not knowing that the hook would eventually get "glowing hot". It was sort of like branding a cow, the fingers had BBQ marks across them. Yeah, I do alot of stupid things.

I know Kiene's has them on the shelf because the last time I was there, I was looking at them. Remember, support your local shop or they might not be there for you when you need them

Jay