PDA

View Full Version : Lake Almanor Browns

ripdlip
10-31-2005, 12:40 PM
When I got to the lake the browns were rolling all over the place. Fished hard for six hours and only landed 4 browns, kept two. I guess they were more interested in spawing. The ones I kept were 6lbs and 4.6lbs. Rusty leech pattern.
http://www.calfishing.com/albums/ripdlip/aay.sized.jpg

Darian
10-31-2005, 03:33 PM
Wow,.... Those are beautiful/fat fish.... 8) Interesting, the diffrerence in color between the two.... 8) 8)

How's the air/water temp's (when fishin') been up there :?: :?:

jbird
10-31-2005, 05:50 PM
.....Call me controvercial, or call me whatever you want, but it breaks my heart to see those 2 magnificent specimens dead. :cry:

Jbird

ripdlip
10-31-2005, 07:28 PM
Wrong person! I have released 20lb Stripers, I have released 15lb Steelhead, I have taught my son how good it feels to let a fish go and watch it swim away. I have called DFG CALTIP (which is on speed dial on my cell phone) on many people who are violating our resource with blatent disregaurd. If you read my report I said I caught 4 fish, how many do you see that I've kept? Have you ever read or seen any of my other post's? I completely understand where you are coming from but for me to catch and keep 2 trout to eat is reasonable. Sorry! I
'll make sure I do not post anymore pictures or reports so as not to offend.

jbird
10-31-2005, 08:21 PM
I am not saying what you did is wrong, or immorral. Heck, Thousands of beautiful fish are killed daily by conciencious anglers. That is why there are limits and most people adhere to them, as do you. I simply stated my opinion. My personal feeling is that "kill fish" are hatchery fish that have been planted for the purpose. A german brown like those 2 in the picture are not even very good eating. I know this because I killed and ate many large browns in my youth, but since have grown to realize what a magnificent creature they are. I have found the act of CPR ( catch, photogragh and release) to be far more rewarding than CKE ( catch, kill and eat)

Again, I am not accusing you of being any kind of criminal, This is simply my opinion on the matter and I am exerting my right to convey it.

Jbird

David Lee
10-31-2005, 08:25 PM
Hey , now ..... :paranoid:

Let's not start pulling the trigger at each other . Wintertime blues ain't quite here yet (you'll know when they are - I'll be whining all the time :P ).

In my humble opinion , catch and release is the way .... but there isn't anything wrong with keeping the odd fish or two . When you start killing everything that swims ...... very un-cool .

You both are highly-valued board members , as well as my friends . I would hate to think we all can't work out any difference of opinion that might show up . Tell ya what - sort it out and I'll send you fellas a TREAT ....... Custom Striper flies :shock: =D> :thumbsup: :twisted:

(big-hearted) David :D

Jasonh
10-31-2005, 09:33 PM
Well said David.

Jason Hartwick

Hairstacker
10-31-2005, 09:33 PM
Hey ripdlip, PLEASE don't stop posting reports and pictures. Please. Judging by the size of the fish you caught, that's a good day in my book, even after 6 hours. Were you float tubin'? David Lee and I have had some good luck with those rusty leech patterns on smallmouth and spotted bass, but I didn't (David probably did) realize they were so good for big browns. 8) Were you using a mohair-style leech or a marabou leech? What size hook were they tied on and how did you fish 'em, if you don't mind me asking?

David Lee
10-31-2005, 11:20 PM
Hey ripdlip, PLEASE don't stop posting reports and pictures. Please. Judging by the size of the fish you caught, that's a good day in my book, even after 6 hours. Were you float tubin'? David Lee and I have had some good luck with those rusty leech patterns on smallmouth and spotted bass, but I didn't (David probably did) realize they were so good for big browns. 8) Were you using a mohair-style leech or a marabou leech? What size hook were they tied on and how did you fish 'em, if you don't mind me asking?

:shock: Sheeeeett ..... :shock:

I'd be happy to fish for SIX DAYS for 4 Brownies like those !!

Funny thing , Mike - I'm tying 'worm' flies for Baja that I ripped off Gary Bulla's board . In red and rust . I guess they're all the rage down in SoCal .

Leeches are good food :idea: So says them fishes :twisted:

David

Gregg Machel
10-31-2005, 11:25 PM
I second what Hairstacker just said, keep posting. I guess you already took down the picture, I missed it. :(

ripdlip
11-01-2005, 12:38 AM
First let me say sorry to jbird. I guess I'm kinda sensitive about the C&R issue. I'm very happy there are people like you that can stand up for that issue. :) Next, the fly was mohair-style leech pattern. I was in my float tube and air temp was around 50. I did not get a water temp but would guess it to be around the mid 50's. Here are a few more pics from the trip. Enjoy!
http://www.calfishing.com/albums/ripdlip/abb.sized.jpg
http://www.calfishing.com/albums/ripdlip/aba.sized.jpg
http://www.calfishing.com/albums/ripdlip/aaz.sized.jpg

AndreD
11-03-2005, 11:41 PM
why can't I see the pics? :(

Andre

Gregg Machel
11-03-2005, 11:59 PM
I can't either, I think they were moved to a new folder on the website where they are hosted.