PDA

View Full Version : SECRET HOLIDAY SEASON SWAP

SullyTM
10-29-2005, 08:10 PM
It's the holiday season :D

I am willing to host a special "Secret Holiday Season Swap." Everyone likes a "little something" in thier stocking :wink:

Swappers will tie 3 flies! They can all be the same pattern or they can be 3 different patterns.

Flies MUST have a toe tag with tiers name and pattern...NO EXCEPTIONS!!!

I will assign each tier a number and will draw 2 names at a time from a hat. Those 2 names will exchange flies. For example, I draw my name/# and Darians name/#(did I just sign you up 'D?)...My 3 flies are sent to Darian and his flies come to me.

DO NOT...I REPEAT, DO NOT post your pattern...It's a SECRET! I will wrap each box in festive wrapping paper...

DEADLINE for signing up: NOVEMBER 10

Flies are due DECEMBER 10...NO LATE FLIES as I want to mail all flies out by December 17.

Join in the fun...You have until November 10.

5, 10, 15, 20? Who knows how many will sign up? Looking for 20 swappers! [-o<

1.) SullyTM
2.) Richard Davis
3.) Gregg Machel
4.) Hairstacker
5.) Mike Ueyama
6.) David Lee
7.) Jgoding
8.) Mountain Man
9.) StevenOjai
10.) andanb
11.) sturmer white
12.) MSP
13.) pm
14.) Wingman
15.) Darian Calhoun
16.) Santa
17.)
18.)
19.)
20.)

DO NOT POST YOUR PATTERN!!!!

Questions?

Thanks. SullyTM

Richard
10-29-2005, 09:03 PM
OK, I'm in. Richard Davis. Pitty the poor soul who's name gets drawn with mine. :)
HAPPY HOLIDAYS everyone. :fish: \:D/ :fish:

Gregg Machel
10-30-2005, 12:06 AM
Sign me up too.

Hairstacker
10-30-2005, 12:12 AM
Thom, so . . . will you draw the name pairs at the beginning or after all the flies are sent in?

Ueyama
10-30-2005, 12:29 AM
Please sign me up. Mike Ueyama

SullyTM
10-30-2005, 04:11 PM
Hairstacker...As folks sign up they will fall into numerical order...Make sense? I'll sign you up :D Please! I will not announce the numerical pairing. IT"S A SECRET! Once the flies are mailed out I "might" let the cat out of the bag...If there are any suggestions, please speak up.

REMEMBER...Toe tags are MANDATORY!

And, DO NOT ANNOUNCE YOUR PATTERN(S)...

Thanks. SullyTM

P.S. Current Line-up edited in my intial post.

Hairstacker
10-30-2005, 08:03 PM
Ok, this sounds like fun, I'm in. Thom, thanks for coming up with a new swap idea and for hosting it, much appreciated! Just 3 flies of the tyer's choice should make things real interesting. . . . 8)

David Lee
10-31-2005, 06:55 AM
Thom -

What the heck ..... I'm in .

David

SullyTM
10-31-2005, 11:45 AM
Hairstacker and David :thumbsup: No Scrooges in this bunch!

A couple of other items. Your flies should be sent in a container you can part with. If you don't have anything, I have several tins that I'm fixing up...just let me know.

Also, if you can put in a couple of return stamps, it will be appreciated, but it's not necessary.

Come on tiers...No limit to the number that can sign up!

Jgoding
10-31-2005, 12:54 PM
3 flies, I'm in on this one. I'll tie different patterns too!! I was thinking I would just tie 3 size 30 midges, take about 2 mins but decided against it for ethical reasons...... LOL!!

Jeff

Mountain Man
10-31-2005, 01:27 PM
Mountain Man here desiring to participate in your Christmas swap. Please sign me up. Hairstacker recommed me.

Thanks,
Mountain Man

email: nielsenh@comcast.net

StevenOjai
11-01-2005, 01:46 PM
I'm within the holiday spirit. Jot me down.
Thanks, Steve

andanb
11-01-2005, 04:45 PM
I'd like to get in on this! I'm a novice...but I can come up with 3 good flies.

11-01-2005, 09:23 PM
OK Guys Count me in.
Which toe do you want the tag on? LOL :P

SullyTM
11-02-2005, 07:46 AM
Sturmer...The big toe :D

12 swappers and counting...MSP just signed on 8) Thanks. SullyTM

MSP
11-03-2005, 04:24 PM
Ok Thom, the tying room is useable so I have no excuses, sign me up. Someone will think they are Halloween flies and got tricked not treated! :shock:

PatrickM
11-03-2005, 05:23 PM
This sounds pretty cool. Sign me up, Thom.
San Juan worms are flies, right? :twisted:

Don't worry, Thom. I was just kidding about the San Juan worms.

SullyTM
11-03-2005, 05:40 PM
pm....shhhhhhhhh :-# Your pattern is supposed to be a secret! You're in the mix. Thanks. SullyTM

David Lee
11-03-2005, 09:41 PM
Two things -

Since we only have to do three flies ..... how 'bout super-special ones ??

The second thing ..... Thom - you've gone all-out to carry the flyswap torch , and you have very clever ways to make them interesting .

THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!!!! =D>

David

Hairstacker
11-03-2005, 10:13 PM
David, super-special? I tried to tie one of those at lunch time for this swap but, uh, it came out medium-common. :shock: :? :oops: :lol:

Wingman
11-03-2005, 11:06 PM
I would like to do this one. Sign me up. :nod:

11-03-2005, 11:07 PM
Hey Thom
My flies are done and on thier way. With a little extra.
MERRY CHRISTMAS!
Sturmer

SullyTM
11-04-2005, 08:05 AM
Wingman is on-board...Thanks

David...Tie "anything" you want...it's a secret :lol: Santa don't care what he passes out :D Also, I enjoy Swaps. The talent on this Forum is just beginning to rear its' ugly head! This swap has brought out several new tiers. In fact I think I'll PM Gregg with an idea :idea:

Hairstacker...Medium common? Give me a break :wink: Better have a cup of Joe while you tie :D

Sturmer...Thanks! No need for anything extra. Just have an enjoyable holiday season.

We have 14 tiers and counting...DEADLINE is November 10! Come on, join in the fun!

Later. Santa SullyTM

Darian
11-06-2005, 10:38 AM
OK Thom,.... 3 flies won't interfere with all of my.. OTHER ..activities....

Guess I'll be tying a ....... and a ....... In size ... Maybe a ..... and :?: :roll: :lol:

By the way, do the flies all have to be the same pattern or can we tie 3 differing patterns :?: :?:

SullyTM
11-07-2005, 11:00 AM
Darian...Yes, you can tie 3 different patterns if you like!

OK, tiers we currently have 15 swappers...I need one more to make it an even number...better for drawing numbers. Come on, be the 16th swapper! Only 3 flies...

Thanks. Thom

11-07-2005, 09:01 PM
Hey Thom
If you do not get your 16th. guy soon, let me know and I will double dip for you. Three flies are nothing to whip up.

SullyTM
11-07-2005, 09:29 PM
Sturmer...You 'da man! But I'm sure there is a 16th tier out there. Calling Adam Grace...Calling Adam Grace :lol:

Bwup! Thom

SullyTM
11-09-2005, 08:12 AM
Who is going to be #16? Just 24 hours left in the SECRET HOLIDAY SWAP. Don't miss out on the fun. Just 3...count 'em 3 flies needed. COME ON DOWN! Thanks. Thom

Darian
11-14-2005, 01:12 AM
Hey Thom,.... My whatchamacallits are on the way.... 8) Toe Tags for the bodies and..... :shock: Can't recall what else.... :?

Thanks for hosting the swap.... :D :D

SullyTM
11-14-2005, 12:52 PM
Thanks Darian...Just remember that the container you send them in goes with the flies. If you want it back pm me and I'll use something on my end. Later. Thom

P.S. Flies are DUE no later than December 10. Violators will be made to take up worm and bobber fishing :wink:

SullyTM
11-15-2005, 12:55 PM
Current flies in Santa's Workshop:

1.) Richard Davis
2.) Sturmer White
3.) SullyTM
4.) MSP
5.) Santa aka Sturmer White
6.) Darian Calhoun
7.) David Lee
8.) pm
9.) wingman
10.) Steve Ojai
11.) Hairstacker
12.) andanb

BTW...This Santa is damn impressed with these "toys". Thom

SullyTM
12-15-2005, 07:45 AM
Santa has drawn names and will be mailing out the packages on Saturday. I am not posting the pairings as this is SANTA's SURPRISE SWAP. There are 4 swappers that haven't found the North Pole yet, but I expect their flies soon??? Come on guys, everyone needs alittle something under the tree on Christmas.

Thanks to all and have an enjoyable holiday season. Thom

Jgoding
12-15-2005, 09:34 AM
Hey Thom,

Mine went out yesterday so you might get them today but most likely tomorrow.

Jeff

SullyTM
12-15-2005, 01:22 PM
Jeff...Received! 3 tiers left and you'll be paired with one of the 3 Amigos! Thanks and have a nice holiday.Thom

SullyTM
12-15-2005, 04:57 PM
I have received all of the flies with the exception of Mountain Man and Mike Ueyama...If you guys haven't mailed them, please contact each other and mail them directly to each other. I will not be around the next couple of weeks so it would be better if you just sent them to each other so they're under your Christmas tree. I appreciate your cooperation. SullyTM

Jgoding
12-16-2005, 11:25 AM
Hey Thom,

I threw in 4 flies so feel free to take one for yourself.... Still perfecting that Thornton pattern but I'm sure those will catch fish. Gotta find a better head material, didn't like the foam or the pearl core braid I used.

Jeff

Darian
12-19-2005, 01:35 PM
Just received a package of flies tied by Richard. Included are a Clouser (Chartreuse/White), a Gurgler (White) and a Dahlberg Diver (like the DD in Richards pictures under the Warm Water Topic). 8) 8) These flies are very artistic and really well tied.... 8) I've been trying to duplicate the Dahlberg Diver in Richards pictures on this site but now have an original to look at. It's really a great lookin' Black Bass fly. 8) Can't wait for spring. :evil:

Thanks to Richard and Thom for this very nice gift. :D :D :D

Best wishes for the Holidays to all.... 8)

StevenOjai
12-19-2005, 08:06 PM
Just recieved three San Juan Worms... :shock:
Actually I got three well-tied flies from Patrick aka "PM". 8)
A dark poxyback Hare's Ear, a Rogue River Prince Nymph, and a Shafer's 3D Nymph with Turkey Biot body. Nice ties, Patrick. I intend to put them to use on my favorite local stream \:D/ soon.

My thanks to Thom for hosting the swap. Merry Christmas to all!

Steve

12-19-2005, 08:19 PM
I received flies tied by David Today.Nice job David I will give them a go in the Spring.
Thanks
Sturm

Richard
12-19-2005, 10:33 PM
Well, I WAS going to hold the flies until the 25th, but with Darian opening his I decided I would open mine as well. A Spruce, a Black Ghost and a Larry's Yellowhawk. These are not just flies they are works of art.!! If I could tie like this, as my grandfather might have said, "I would think I had died and gone to heaven." Thank you Darian for sharing and to Thom for setting this up. :) :) :) :)

HAPPY HOLIDAYS to everyone and may the new year be filled with Joy and Peace!

Jgoding
12-20-2005, 08:56 AM
I got my flies too, but I don't know who they're from..... were they yours Thom?? I remember one being a stimulator but I haven't had time to check everything out closely.... They look great tho.

Jeff

Wingman
12-24-2005, 12:39 PM
Sully thanks for putting this swap together and allowing me to take part. To all I want to wish a Merry Christmas. I recieved three different very nice, no exceptional describes them best, bass flies from Hairstacker, and they all came gift wrapped in a nice plastic Plano box! :D Heck, I was ready to taste these myself because they look so good! Sorry Mr. Bass you are in trouble once anyone one of these beauties hit the water!!! :twisted:

Hairstacker
12-27-2005, 01:18 AM
Wingman, thanks for the very nice comments! I enjoyed receiving your flies as well, a couple of very attractive Clousers tied with very nice colors and materials that I just know the bass are going to love, as well as a pinky that will definitely come in handy this coming late spring for shad. And Thom, thanks again for hosting this one, very nicely done and a great format for the season!!

PatrickM
12-27-2005, 01:16 PM
Been gone for a while. Just got home to find Steve Schalla's Black Heron Speys waiting for me. Really nice flies, Steve. :D I'm thinking those might work well on the Trinity or Klamath (although they're almost too nice to fish). Any input, Steve?

SullyTM
12-28-2005, 08:37 AM
jeff...The flies are from Santa who took over when your drawn name had to withdrawl. Since you were a nice man during 2005 Santa had something for you :D Enjoy! thom

StevenOjai
12-29-2005, 10:49 AM
Hey Patrick,
Those Black Heron Speys are fishin' flies to be sure. Let me know how they do for you. My brother-in-law flung a few on the River Spey in Scotland as he was retracing his roots. I immersed myself into the patterns with Shewey and Ververka's books. Not sure who developed the Black Heron pattern as there are numerous variations going back to the mid-1800's. The traditional patterns used a Wool body, often Berlin Wool or materials that would be readily available within the area. The modern patterns often use the floss bodies. The Spey flies are defined by the downwing of Bronze Mallard segments, usually married together forming a flat canopy over the body. Getting consistent wings is the problem I usually have. Hope you have success with them. Happy New Years.
Steve