PDA

View Full Version : Anyone catching steelhead on the feather?

steve sullivan
10-28-2005, 11:35 PM
The salmon are one their redds or dead, but I have not seen any flyfisherman catching steelhead? All I am catching is salmon :(. Any flyfisherman here actually catching fish (as compared to "I heard such as such baitfisherman are doing well"). I fished palm ave riffle, caught a salmon, their were very few salmon or any fish here. Went up to the low flow and caught salmon but didnt even see any steelhead nor see anyone catching any steelhead. Maybe this rain will help?

Heath Hughes
10-29-2005, 05:31 PM
I made a trip to the Feather last Wednesday with a frien of mine and myself at the Palm ave. riffle. My friend hooked up with four steelies and landed one of them, and I hooked into one and lost it. I was trying out my new spey rod so I really didn't care about landing a fish. What a great rod to use! We used tan colored foxes pupah's and green butt skunks. I went there this week but didn't connect at all. There seems to be a lot less salmon there this year than last, wich may have to do with it.

Tony Buzolich
10-30-2005, 10:55 AM
This season's steelhead has been fantastic so far and is only going to keep getting better.

They'll take flies swinging or glow-bugs high-sticking with a nymph dropper.

Every day I work at the shop I get at least one or two brought in for pictures and weighing. Most are in the 6#-10# range and on a 6w.or 7w. that is one heck of a good fight.

Lots are showing color and still quite a few coming in with blue-backs and chrome sides. Quite a ways from the salt but it just shows how fast these fish move upstream when they want to.

Those are all good riffles but obviously not the best for you. Keep trying and you'll find them.

Tight lines, TONY

steve sullivan
11-02-2005, 11:50 AM
This season's steelhead has been fantastic so far and is only going to keep getting better.

They'll take flies swinging or glow-bugs high-sticking with a nymph dropper.

Every day I work at the shop I get at least one or two brought in for pictures and weighing. Most are in the 6#-10# range and on a 6w.or 7w. that is one heck of a good fight.

Lots are showing color and still quite a few coming in with blue-backs and chrome sides. Quite a ways from the salt but it just shows how fast these fish move upstream when they want to.

Those are all good riffles but obviously not the best for you. Keep trying and you'll find them.

Tight lines, TONY

hello Tony, a couple of questions. I still have not seen a single flyfisherman catch a steelhead, this is from palm all the way up to macgraths. That is up to 5 fisherman at outhouse (sh*thouse) riffle and all the way down to palm ave riffle. Yesterday I did get 2 different tugs at palm,could of been steelhead but could of been a squawfish for all I know.

So a question: the shop is in Yuba City, are the people that are catching fish fly fishing or spinning? Are they in a boat or wading? It is preety difficult to flyfish around yuba city wading, is it not?

And if 2 people come in because they did catch a steelhead, how many people didnt? From Jan to May I had about 50 steelhead caught and released on my steelhead card. From Sept to nov 1 ZERO.

Most of the people here are wading, as opposed to fishing in a boat, so are these people catching them in a boat, and how many are fishing in the low flow and high flow as opposed to the boating area of the lower lower feather?

Tony Buzolich
11-02-2005, 06:42 PM
Thanks guys. Ditto.
TONY

denny griffin
11-04-2005, 05:28 PM
Caught two nice steelies(6 to 8lbs) in the Feather this past Tue. Was up there two weeks ago for two days and got six. Most were caught in the low flow. I worked hard for all those fish, but they are there. It is not like the last couple of years, but there are some nice fish in the river.