PDA

View Full Version : Trinity has fish.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-28-2005, 09:08 PM
Some of our fishing budiies were up on the Trinity River near Del Loma this past weekend. The spotting some big schools of large steelhead. They went a ways upstream and did very well.

They said they will be back there the next two weekend weither they get devorced or not.

November is a very popular month for the Trinity River.

Ffdoc
10-29-2005, 11:46 AM
Bill,

Just got back from a short tip on the Trinity below Junction city. Had never fished it but I heard we were a little early, flows would be low and there would be lots of fisherman. All were true. We had a slow first couple days with one 24 inch adult on an egg pattern and a few nice halfpounders swinging oct caddis and drifting golden stones. Then a storm came in Tuesday night. We got up early and fished a riffle we had unsuccessfully fished the day before and had a great day. I had probably 15 adults on, a couple that cleared the water would go 10 pounds easily. Managed 4 fish to hand from 23 to 26 inches. several LDRs and 4 fish where the hook pulled out at my feet as I was landing them. They were taking small nymphs including green Foxs poopahs, chartreuse brassies (size14) and bead head olive birds nest size 12. The small flies I guess just don't hold well on those big fish. I had 2-3 fish saw off my 8.5 lb test tippet also. I also got a 20 inch brown in the same riffle that was shaped like a football and must have weighed five lbs. All the adult steelhead were fin clipped and all were released. It was a very good day. My arm still hurts. I will definitely go up there again.

Best regards,

FFdoc

Jasonh
10-29-2005, 12:18 PM
Nice report. Sounds like you found a nice school of fish moving through. A good tip for fishing the Trinity if you are using small nymphs is to tie them on a larger or heavier wire hook. A few years ago when i nymphed that river a lot more i had really good success fishing about a #14 flashback PT tied on a #8-10 TMC 2457 hook. I landed about 90% of my hooked fish this way. The sam goes for other rivers like the rogue, yuba, and american.

Jason Hartwick