PDA

View Full Version : NZMS now in the Deschutes

aaron
10-28-2005, 05:24 PM
fyi NZMS have made thier way north. They are currently in the deschutes, lower Rogue, New River, and Umpqua River. Please remember to wash your gear after fishing infected waters.
http://www.cbbulletin.com/Free/119106.aspx

steve sullivan
10-28-2005, 07:17 PM
fyi NZMS have made thier way north. They are currently in the deschutes, lower Rogue, New River, and Umpqua River. Please remember to wash your gear after fishing infected waters.
http://www.cbbulletin.com/Free/119106.aspx

While maybe over %90 of flyfisherman are very responsible, all it takes is ONE measly flyfisherman to screw up and then a waterway is screwed. I would bet the sac already has snails in it somewhere and it is only time before all of the sac and its tributaries have it.

Darian
10-28-2005, 09:52 PM
Steve,.... I don't wish to create a controversy with you but, while I agree with your statement about responsibility, I'm not sure that jumping to conclusions about how these snails got into the Deschuttes is a good way to solve the problem.... :? :? The bulletin says that officials up there aren't sure how the snails got there but list a number of potential vectors among which are fisherman.... 8) 8)

I'm not advocating loosening up the precautions against transporting snails but it doesn't make sense to make judgements of that nature before knowing the actual cause.... 8) 8)

rrivera
10-29-2005, 07:47 PM
The more I read about the epidemic of this tiny creature, the more concerned I get about the fact that there are no true ways to control it.

My question is: Are there waters out there in the world that share a heatlthy releation between these snails and trout in the same environment..?

Is there a dooms day matrix somwhere showing infestation = time of total demise of a river system..?

I would have agree with Darian - Yes, there should be a level of individual responsibility; but to think that a 5 to 10 percent bleach solution to wash your waders and boots is the cure all, is only the human factor of preventative maintenance. Mammals, birds, and nature has it's own rules of transporting life from point A to B regardless of it's effect.

My honest opinion is: These critters are here to stay, and I don't think anyone is going too pull the trigger on putting any experimental poitions on productive rivers to test if they can get rid of these snails.

Darian
10-29-2005, 09:58 PM
Interesting points Ray.... It's curious that Trout transplanted from No. America to New Zealand have lived in those lakes/rivers for at least 50 years that I'm aware of.... :? :? Wonder how they've done it :?: :?: Natrual predator maybe :?: :?:

I concur that the snail is here to stay. Soooo, we've got to find a way to keep it under control. I doubt that eradication is possible without eliminating Trout as well.... :( :(

OregonSalmon
10-30-2005, 09:14 AM
"Hey Darrian......corect me if I'm wrong but if I kill all the trout they are gonna lock me up and throw away the key.....
Darn those New Zealanders' and their snails. This poor earth never should have let us humans evolve to the point where we could travel long distances. Maw Nature let us down when she let us come out of the cave. Thinking of that....now would a gay caveman come out of a closet and the cave?....or just the cave?

Darian
10-30-2005, 06:12 PM
Hey Galen,.... Since all of the snails seem to be female, they're gay, too. (not that there's anything wrong with that :roll: :roll: ) Guess Ma Nature isn't fool proof after all.... Or is she :?: :?: