PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Time for Surface Action

darmocido
10-26-2005, 11:38 AM
With warmer days in the fall the mayfly and caddis hatches have been
scattered throughout the day. It seems the best surface action is happening between 9:30 and 1:30 on those days. This would depend greatly on the path of the sun and the watershed you are fishing. Last Sunday I had a 15 year old hook 22 fish on a dry mayfly pattern in 2 1/2 hours and landing 17 of those fish. The rainbow were fat, firm, and very active. In the afternoon the activity began to slow as the sun left the water and the fish became more deliberate on their takes, drifting up to 10 feet along side the fly before they took it or refused it. Get out there on those warmer days, fall at its best! Good luck!

chemdoc
10-26-2005, 07:52 PM
Sounds like a great day. You didn't mention where you were fishing, so perhaps you want to keep it to yourself. If not, it would be interesting to know, particularly if it is the mountains, the valley, up north, etc. Reports are always appreciated. Thanks.

Phil

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-26-2005, 10:29 PM
Great David,

Jeff Putnam was just out on a road trip and one of his stops was Hat Creek.

He said there was great dry fly action from ~11am till 4pm with #20 Adams Paradun on 6/7x tippet.

darmocido
10-27-2005, 10:03 AM
Bill, I read about his trip from the post from CW, we were using a 14 & 16 parachute adams. It was pretty easy, the water was crystal clear and the kid could see the trout come from up to 10 feet away at certain places where the water was flat. The excitement on his face and in his voice was fun to experience with him. One of the most enjoyable parts of guiding!
I really think we will have this kind of fishing for at the next two weeks up in the west slopes of the Sierra's.

darmocido
10-27-2005, 11:07 AM
Chemdoc, We were on a stream on the west slope of the Seirra's about 2,500 ft.. I think that most the watersheds are offering much of what we experienced. It that time of year, fish are hungry, trying to store up as much as they can, slight differences in air temperature can create excellent hatches as well. The browns are still moving into tributaries to spawn if available. I just think if we can take advantage of those warmer days on the water we can experience good fishing. I've had excellent dry fly days throughout the winter when the day was bright or had a 5 degree change for the warmer.

chemdoc
10-27-2005, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the report and advice. I am hoping to get out one more time to the Sierras before winter sets in.

Phil