PDA

View Full Version : Tippet vs.Leader Material?

Tony Buzolich
10-25-2005, 04:38 AM
Okey, here's REALLY basic question that keeps coming up for me anyway.

What is the difference between leader material and tippet material other than using the X system on the tippet? That's another whole thing I can't make sense out of either.

The material sold as tippet in small spools is all X this and X that with various poundages and diameters that almost match perfectly to small spools of various leader material.

Is there a difference in clarity, limpness, WHAT?

This came up again the other day when I ran out of a certain size flourocarbon tippet and grabbed a spool of Seagar Flourocarbon as a quick option in the same poundage. Diameter was the same.

So, what's the difference?

I'll post the X this and and that on the next question to keep each seperate.
TONY

jfkowalski
10-25-2005, 07:52 AM
When you design a leader or select tippet, you are concerned with a few things that you don't consider in selecting a line. A few of these are stiffness, and abrasion resistance. IF you are throwing big flies or are casting in wind, you might select a stiff leader material. If you are fishing in saltwater, you might select material that is resistant to coral cutting it. If you are throwing small dry flies, you might want a very supple leader that won't make a lot of splash. About the only thing you consider in selecting a line is breaking strength and diameter, or how much you can put on your reel.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-25-2005, 09:04 AM
The 'X' system does confuse people at first but if they get into it and learn the system it is easy and very helpful.

First 0x = .011"

You subtract the number in front of the X from .011" to get the diameter in inches.

5x = 11 - 5 = .006"

You subtract the diameter in inches from .011" to get the X number.

.011" - .006" = 5x

The diameter of mono is a consistent measurement where pound test is a fantasy. Manufacturers can exaggerate their pound test rating to sell mono so pound test printed on spools of mono does not actually have to be accurate.

There are formulas to help you pick the size tippet material to balance with your fly size.

You divide 3 (lighter) or 4 (heavier) into the fly size to get the correct X size tippet.

#12 dry fly divided by 3 = 4x. This is only a starting place which you can adjust from depending on conditions so you have a basic idea where to start.

Diameter is a much safer way to relate to mono because it is a constant.

If you take a good basic fly fishing class much of this will be explained.

Many years ago I was an instructor for the Fenwick, Orvis and Mel Krieger weekend fly fishing schools held in Nor Cal. Most of these schools are still teaching the old Fenwick system of fly fishing education because it was the first large organized school system. During a 2 1/2 day school there would be a very serious lecture with printed information on "leaders & tippets".

Dave Whitlock's famous book "L.L. Bean Fly-fishing Handbook" will have much of this explained as well.

You can go into a good fly shop and get help picking out a fantastic well balanced fly fishing outfit for your particualr needs and have it all put together right with the right amount of backing with sophisticated knots.

Then you can get some great flies for a particular fishery, but many have a tough time figuring out what to do from the end of the fly line to the fly?

Having the right leaders and knots is a big deal.

This is a common problem and like anything else it takes some effort to learn the a system to have the right length leader and diameter of tippet material for your particualar fishing situation.

Some might think of taking a basic fly fishing class from our local fly fishing pro Jeff Putman.

http://www.jpflyfishing.com/

Wednesday Caster
10-25-2005, 09:13 AM
I'd like to piggy back Tony and add my question of leader set ups too.
In FF magazine 5/05, I was reading the article regarding "Right-Angle Leader" nymphing, the author uses a 3' 30# test MONO butt section to which is then followed by graduating tippet sections, shots and nymph.
Is the mono in this butt section the type that is used by spincasters or is there a specific mono designed for us FF?
Quinn

Hairstacker
10-25-2005, 11:13 AM
Answer to Tony's question -- There is no difference in the composition of leader material and tippet material for a given brand. The X is simply a measurement of size.

Wednesday Caster -- You're asking, Is there a difference between the basic mono sold for spinning reels, etc., and the mono used for fly fishing leaders? I believe the answer is "No," although, as noted, there are differences between brands with respect to test poundages, stiffness, abrasion resistance, etc.

When I first took up fly fishing over 20 years ago, I started out by tying my own leaders using Berkeley Trilene XL. I bought it in a bunch of spools of various test poundages and made sure I used just the one brand for all leader sections to ensure consistency in diameter measurement and stiffness/limpness, and I stuck with established leader formulas. I found these leaders worked and turned over for trout fishing as well as any other leaders I used then or since. Nowadays, I have migrated over to Orvis Superstrong because I like it's characteristics (limpness, abrasion resistance, etc.), and it is VERY strong for given diameters compared to other brands.

Gregg Machel
10-25-2005, 01:05 PM
I found what seems to be a pretty usefull reference for tying your own leaders on the global flyfishers website. It's a downloadable Excel spreadsheet (look on the right side of the page listed below). They also have an article about hand tied leaders, leader material, etc.

Article: http://globalflyfisher.com/fishbetter/leadercalc/
Download Link: http://globalflyfisher.com/fishbetter/leadercalc/download.php

Wednesday Caster
10-25-2005, 04:35 PM
Posted my message/question this morning. Took a mid day break to find my questions already answered. How great is that?! Mike and Gregg, thanks so much for the input and reference. Helps greatly.
Now back to work for me.
Quinn