PDA

View Full Version : trolling motor: How much thrust?

slimfishin's
10-23-2005, 05:12 PM
Hey folks, I'm trying to outfit my rig for some Delta fishing. I need to get a bow mount trolling motor for an 18' x 48" jon boat. The boat is a bit narrow for that length, but is pretty light as a consequence. What kind of thrust do I need for the troller? I was thinking either a 42 or 55 lb motor, depending on price and availability. Any suggestions? MinnKota vs Motor Guide?

SF

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-23-2005, 07:51 PM
I would go 55# for sure.

Most use the Minn Kota auto pilot.

mikenewman
10-24-2005, 08:34 AM
I've got a 65 Minn Kota Autopilot on a 16' Crestliner. It's 24v and runs for ages without recharging. Whilst I don't need that much thrust, the variable control dials all the way from 0 to waterskiing :lol: and is very efficient. The autopilot cuts down on the need for a lot of steering adjustments and I'd also recommend the copilot device that gives you belt mounted controls in place of the foot system.

Mike

Darian
10-24-2005, 09:53 AM
I have a Minnkota, 55 lb thrust for my 17 foot Fisher with a modified V hull.... It's good for the Delta. 8) I guess what concern me is that a john boat has a relatively flat bottom and shallow draft, regardless of width/length. 55 lbs of thust might be overkill. :? :? The other features mentioned seem to be something that'd be beneficial. 8) 8) 8)

Charlie Gonzales
10-28-2005, 01:16 PM
I have a 42# thrust minnie on my 1648 jon but and the setting on full(0-5) it will pretty much nock me on my butt if im not carefull. it holds me well in moving water but it never hurts to have more power. have you posted the same question on blantons board?

Charlie Gonzales
10-28-2005, 01:30 PM
I have a 42# thrust minnie on my 1648 jon but and the setting on full(0-5) it will pretty much nock me on my butt if im not carefull. it holds me well in moving water but it never hurts to have more power. have you posted the same question on blantons board?