PDA

View Full Version : American 10/21 (PM)

Darian
10-21-2005, 09:10 PM
Fished the American at Upper Rossmor this afternoon/early evening. Water was clear/warm (no waders necessary). Fished some fairly fast water with tandem rig of an olive Near Nuff Sculpin (size 6) and a trailer of a Olive Caddis Pupa (size 12) on a Deepwater Express line. Saw very little fish activity. No rises in spite of the fact that there was a hatch of BWO's eithere size 16 or 18 and a tan Caddis about size 14. Saw one good fish jump. 8) 8)

Got two good takes but each happened after I was lulled to sleep by the inactivity between..... :roll: Missed 'em both. ](*,)

About 5:30 PM, a bunch of Seagulls started diving onto the surface of the river and picking up something. They progressed downstream to where I was fishing and went on by continuing this activity all the time. I saw nothing in the water.... 8) Don't know what they were after.... :? :?

On the way out of the park, saw two does standing in the mowed grass next to the parking area. When I honked at 'em, they just looked up and kept on eating.... :lol: What a great afternoon. 8) 8)

Jasonh
10-21-2005, 09:26 PM
Nice report Darian. Its nice to hear a report from the American. Either no one is fishing it or there is nothing to report. From what i have heard it had been a slow year for the half pounders, at least compared to the past few years. Did you see any spawning salmon? It should be about that time.

Jason Hartwick

Tony Buzolich
10-21-2005, 10:38 PM
Hi Darian,

I've noticed sea gulls several times at the bottom of the island at Sailor bar. They too seem to be diving and eating somthing but I've never been able to spot what they're after.

I usually fish that area for the winter steelhead and always thought it could be the spawn of the salmon hatching and drifting on downstream. Alevins I think they're called.
TONY

Jasonh
10-21-2005, 11:13 PM
I would agree with that except it is too early in the year for alevins. Maybe they are picking up lose salmon eggs?

Jason Hartwick

David Lee
10-22-2005, 07:30 AM
I'll bet those Gulls were diving on this years hatch of American Shad fry . It's too early for Smolts or Alevins , so Shad fry are the only bait around in numbers .

Yeah .... I know , Squawfish and Sucker fry are in there , too ... but likely not as many of those little guys as there are Shad .

Lots of Deer at that spot Darian .

David

Wednesday Caster
10-22-2005, 08:02 AM
Darian,
Great report. I've noticed that when fishing is slow, I too drift to la-la land and begin to look around which is exactly when I usually get the only strike of the outing. Thanks for taking me on a virtual-outing through your report. Lost in LA this month and next. I hope I can make it up before the year ends. Of course the new year brings on Winter Steel too.
Quinn

Darian
10-22-2005, 05:40 PM
Ya know, I haven't seen much evidence of Salmon spawing in the American, yet. There's some spawning pairs at Upper Sunrise but none at Upper Rossmor Bar. The strange thing about it is that there're redd's all over the place but covered with moss..... :? :? Water has to be at least 60 degrees (probably warmer) :(

Doesn't seem like that'd be this years fish but the water was high enough last spring to wash out all of last years redds.... :?

On Thursday AM, saw a guy trolling in the slow water area behind Sac State. He was using a Gibbs minnow and was drowning two, very bright, Salmon on a stringer. One looked to be about 30 pounds. 8) 8)

CW
10-25-2005, 12:53 PM
Agree with Tony (and David, and Jason) .... while boat drifting during January/Feb/March, you'll see huge flocks of seagulls just descend just above the top of the island at Sailor bar (in the flat water before it dumps into the riffle), and they will be gorging on these alevins, and they will float down to the bottom of the island while drifting downstream, gorging themselves, and then the entire flock will fly back up into the air and settle right back down at the top of the island again. It is an incrededible sight. Snorkeled parts of the river, and the sucker/squawfish smolt are in huge crowds in slower, lake-type water in the hotter months of the year - like early summer. I don't know for sure what these birds are eating, but I'd agree with David Lee - he is on the water quite a bit.