PDA

View Full Version : First Striper!

mikenewman
10-21-2005, 05:11 PM
Today I reluctantly left behind my topwater bass bugs and determined to have a trip concentrating on Stripers. Packed my 9wt, fast sinker, half a dozen clousers of dubious quality and 2 bewildered German Wire Haired Pointers onto the boat and was underway by 9.30.
It was a hot, still day around Frank's and by 3.00 pm both the dogs and I were starting to lose the will to live. I'd flogged up and down the sloughs, anxiously scanning structure, fishfinder and other boats for clues but with just a few dinky LMBs to hand. Finally, within 10 minutes of my appointed packing up time I made my first acquaintance with a striper over 9 inches. No camera or scales but measured a full 26" which according to Stripers Online would come in at around 6.5lb. All I can say is what does a 16 pounder pull like? A beautiful, sleek and very wild fish that had me whooping like a kid!
However, next time I think I'll play him off the reel 'cos 20 yards of line tangled around 2 dogs is no joke, believe me :lol:
Had a couple more casts but had to call it a day- mission accomplished :D

Mike

NCS
10-21-2005, 07:47 PM
Congrats of your first striper :D I took my lab fishing in the boat with me once when she was a pup...that was enough! She spent the day with her paws over the gunnels and tail moving at mach 2, wanting to chase birds and released fish. I thought she was going to go for a swim! Needless to say I spent more time messing around with the dog than I did fishing!
Nick

Tracy Chimenti
10-21-2005, 07:57 PM
I've got a picture of My dog on the tract swimming like a fool after a huge coot raft!

Hey, welcome to the greatest game fish in the world. I've never caught anything over 35#, but a striper over 30 will really pull you around. I remember some 20-years ago a fellah caught a 67-pounder at night on the Feather using top-water. Must have looked like the locks opening up when that fish ate the plug. All I can say is YOU ARE NOW CURSED!

Hairstacker
10-21-2005, 11:30 PM
Woo hoo! Way to go Mike! Now that's a Clouser you need to stick into the hatband of your hat. 8) 8) 8) Welcome to the club. :)

Adam Grace
10-22-2005, 08:42 AM
Congrats!

mikenewman
10-22-2005, 10:38 AM
Thanks guys

Tracy, that's a curse I can live with! :) Actually,driving back I was thinking myself blessed to have such easy access to the wonderful Delta.

Hey Mike, be careful out there! - I reckon if you latch onto a lunker in that blow up yak of yours, you could get a sleigh ride to Sausalito. :lol:

Charlie Gonzales
10-23-2005, 10:29 AM
congrats mike! isnt it amazing the pulling power of those fish. check my report from san luis/ o'neill forbay, now that you have the fever you have to get down there. first time i took my dog fishing was at rossmoore and when i set my anchor out she went in after it, what a sight!