PDA

View Full Version : Egg diameters

PaulC
10-20-2005, 08:25 PM
Just curious if you guys know what the standard salmon/steelhead egg diameters we have out here are.
Kings are 10mm right?
Out of curiousity, what about steelies...are they like sockeye with 6-7mm diameter egg size or more on the small end.
Tying up a few glowbugs got me thinkin.
-Paul

flygolf
10-20-2005, 10:19 PM
I could be wrong, but I always thought that the salmon was 8mm and the stealies are 6mm.

BSD
10-22-2005, 10:49 PM
Last time I was in Alaska I was told to use 6mm for sockeye eggs, 8mm for silver egss, and 10mm for kings. I did ask what about eggs for Kings in CA that are quite a bit smaller than Alaskan Kings and they did recommend to downsize to the 8mm. If this is correct, it seems like the egg size is based on the fish size rather than species. I would think on most of our rivers we can use 8mm to match a salmon egg and probably 6mm to match the steelhead egg. I'm not an expert, just sharing the info I was told, hope it helps.

Brian

Darian
10-22-2005, 11:12 PM
I've been following this topic with a little indifference but I'm getting curious about why egg diameter is that important :?: :?: I understand the need on us, as fly tyers, to make precise imitations of a natural entity but I'm wondering if this one isn't really overkill..... :? :? :?

Egg size in both Salmon/Steelhead changes between the point of beginning the spawning cycle and when they are actually laid in the redd. Skeins of immature roe are smaller in diameter than mature roe whether taken from Salmon or Steelhead. 8) Egg clusters are very effective for Steelhead. Diameter of these clusters can very quite a bit.... 8)

I know using a single egg fly is part and parcel to Indicator fishing with a two fly cast but I've never been overly concerned about the actual size of the egg fly. I was more concerned with the color at any point in the season.... 8)

Another use for fresh Salmon/Steelhead Roe is in Sushi.... 8) 8) Nishiki's in Sacramento makes some very good stuff with it.... :D :D

PaulC
10-23-2005, 04:55 PM
Hey Darian,
I can't say based on personal experience how important size is for egg imitations. I do know that in Alaska we were always fishing 6mm where the sockeye were on their reds and 10mm behind kings. The guides out there insisted that proper size did increase your hookup ratio and went to the extent of even coloring some of their beads with white nail polish to make them have more of a milky look later in the run.
A few people I know that are fishing glowbugs on the T are usually using 10mm larger models dead drifting with a spin rod and no indicator. Steelhead orange was always a hot color.
As always, I'm just curious.
-Paul

Darian
10-23-2005, 07:33 PM
Hi Paul,.... Guess it's hard to argue with successful experience. 8) I certainly can identify with the importance of color, tho. After rummaging around in all the fly shops I've been in up here, I've never seen a size chart or label on glo-bugs offered for sale..... :? :? I must be missing something :?: :?: (Of course, people who know me would probably say that's nothing new :roll: :roll: )

steve sullivan
10-23-2005, 11:12 PM
Just curious if you guys know what the standard salmon/steelhead egg diameters we have out here are.
Kings are 10mm right?
Out of curiousity, what about steelies...are they like sockeye with 6-7mm diameter egg size or more on the small end.
Tying up a few glowbugs got me thinkin.
-Paul

All the king salmon eggs I have seen are alot smaller than 10!! I would say they are about 5 or 6 mm, these are the orange ones still inside.