PDA

View Full Version : Fall in Oregon

OregonSalmon
10-20-2005, 10:35 AM
Oh my it is hell outside; the trees are turning (the leafy ones...the needly ones get chopped down), the chantrelles and boletes are poking their nosey noggins' through the soil, the elk are playing their bugles, and the salmon are sauntering up the rivers. Our salmon don't run, they saunter. It is the famed "Oregon Chinook Saunter". They love the country too, take their time sightseeing until one of us heartless bastards sticks a hook in their jaw!!! Shame on us humans!!! I always apologize to the salmoniod before I whack them over the head. Don't think it makes them feel any better but does to me. Hey, I'm a Liberal.
Git' (the hillbilly version of "get") outta that terminator run state, head north, breath some clean air and enjoy the finest real estate in the Union. I think the Good Lord did have a plan and that is why he put California beneath us. If you figure them thar are fightin' words, come on up...I'll take all comers since I've been splitting wood all summer. I'm bronzed, buffed, and bug eaten, meaner than a bear, tougher than a pig's ear and smell worse than the old hound's breath. Bring it on baby!!!!

Jgoding
10-20-2005, 11:34 AM
LOL, whenever you post Oregon I have to read it cuz I know it'll give me a good laugh!

Keep it up! I just might have to pack a big lunch and come up tho since I live down here in Cali!!

Jeff

Anne Vitale
10-20-2005, 01:26 PM
Oregon...I spent last weekend up there on the Rogue spey fishin' (hillbilly for fishing) with Gary Anderson and Steve Godshal. Got to enjoy another one of Steve's famous gourmet riverside lunches :D and try out several of Gary's great new rods. Got my eye on a 5 pc 7 wt. Unfortunately the fishing was slow --nutten but little uns cause the water was too cold :cry:-- but it was great to be on the river and breathing in all that wonderful Oregon Fall scenery. Your invitation to move on up is awful tempting. :)

Gregg Machel
10-20-2005, 09:37 PM
No kidding about Steve's river-side food! I was up there with those two a couple months ago and still recall the lunch! Mmmmmmm :lol:

David Lee
10-20-2005, 09:54 PM
BBQ @ my place this weekend , Gregg ??? :idea:

Geller - I'd be there in a heartbeat ...... except , I don't think there's enough bail money for the two of us :paranoid:

How's about posting photos of YOUR favorite fall flies ??? :!: ???

David :D :P

Gregg Machel
10-20-2005, 10:15 PM
I actually violated my own priciples by posting anything political here, but I found it hard to resist and gave into temptation. I deleted the post, and that will be the last time I ever do that here, my appologies to all.

BBQ this weekend is a definate possibility. My striper trip (Sunday) is postponed.

OregonSalmon
10-28-2005, 03:36 PM
David,
I don't think we need bail money. The old dog can break us out. All he needs to do is come to the jail and yawn and the cops will beg us to take him away.
I don't have a cam so I'm just going to have to describe what works in tidewater in my neck of the woods which is the same thing that has worked for over 800 years: comet types. Using my best Shirshac: "oh....and dat Boss....dats a good fly". Just have to have something dark, something bright, something red....would sound like a wedding day but nothing blue!!!
Top few are the Boss, the Golden Goose, the Forty Niner (red tail, gold body, red hackle) and the Stick fly which is kind of a comet with a palmered hackle. The same stuff that has been used forever. Since the salmon won't evolve, neither will mans' fly patterns.

David Lee
10-28-2005, 04:06 PM
Gallen , I would tend to agree with ya about the flies .... I'm all for innovation/experimenting with 'new' stuff , but the fishes will eat the same bugs they ate 30 years ago . Or 60 years ago .

This winter , I'll work on getting some of the fellas together for a road trip up your way (for fishin' , BSin' , all kinds of good stuff ...) - mayhaps we could shoot for early next summer , or , better yet , late next fall :idea:

I trust the Compound had enough ground space for worthless California boys in tents ?? Away from the outhouse .... I mean . I'll get back to you with updates .

David

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-28-2005, 08:54 PM
Geller is actually a great cook so some of you guys might enjoy running up there and fishing with him.

David Lee
10-28-2005, 11:12 PM
Geller is actually a great cook so some of you guys might enjoy running up there and fishing with him.

I've heard Mr. Geller tyes a pretty 'fair' fly ........ That will be more than enough reason to visit , never mind the Elk Chili .

I've also heard that he has a few Bill Kiene stories floatin' 'round :shock:

And you know what a sucker I am for those :P

David

OregonSalmon
10-30-2005, 09:38 AM
David,
In my neck of the woods (and I am in the woods) February to March is also a damn good time. Lot of big critters swim up the Nehalem then; those saltwater rainbows. You have a chance at a fish over twenty which is always a good feeling. Plus there is a main tributary of the Nehalem, the Salmonberry, which is just friggin' beautiful. No bait and all walking on the Salmonberry so it doesn't get much pressure from the hillbilly contingent.
Good lord.....housing Californians....I might be strung up for that. We will just tell the locals you are Canadians or members of Saddam Hussians Bathee Party. Then again these boys don't like the word "bath" so we will go with the Canadian canard.
I have a few Kiene stories, some of which come back to haunt me. One day on the ruthless Pit I was making fun of him limping up the hill and now I have the same ailment!!!! Karma never takes a day off. That is what I DESERVE for giving as fine a man who ever was a hard time on a hard walk. Those comments might just get me into hell. Durn.